Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking At People Looking At Animals In America
Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America
Journalist Jon Mooallem has watched his little daughter’s world overflow with animals butterfly pajamas, appliquéd owls—while the actual world she’s inheriting slides into a great storm of extinction. Half of all species could disappear by the end of the century, and scientists now concede that most of America’s endangered animals will survive only if conservationists keep rigging the world around them in their favor. So Mooallem ventures into the field, often taking his daughter with him, to move beyond childlike fascination and make those creatures feel more real. Wild Ones is a tour through our environmental moment and the eccentric cultural history of people and wild animals in America that inflects it—from Thomas Jefferson’s celebrations of early abundance to the turn-of the-last-century origins of the teddy bear to the whale-loving hippies of the 1970s. With propulsive curiosity and searing wit, and without the easy moralizing and nature worship of environmental journalism’s older guard, Wild Ones merges reportage, science, and history into a humane and endearing meditation on what it means to live in, and bring a life into, a broken world.
- Dante: Poet Of The Secular World (New York Review Books (Paperback))
- A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love In Scripture
- Analytic Processes For School Leaders
- Classic Recipes Of Hungary: Traditional Food And Cooking In 25 Authentic Dishes
- Interpersonal Conflict
- Basher Science: Oceans: Making Waves!
- Death Rituals, Social Order And The Archaeology Of Immortality In The Ancient World: 'Death Shall Have No Dominion'
- California Desert Wildflowers
- Managerial Communication: Strategies And Applications
- Tartas, Bizcochos Y Pasteles Caseros
- Criminal Law Liaf 2007 (Law In A Flash Cards)
- Relational Children's Ministry: Turning Kid-Influencers Into Lifelong Disciple Makers
- Genesis: Belief: A Theological Commentary On The Bible
- Whole Foods Companion: A Guide For Adventurous Cooks, Curious Shoppers, And Lovers Of Natural Foods, 2nd Edition
- Dependent Development: The Alliance Of Multinational, State, And Local Capital In Brazil
- Lean Six Sigma For Beginners: A Quickstart Beginner’s Guide To Lean Six Sigma
- Vendida/ Sold (Gran Angular Alerta Roja) (Spanish Edition)
- Jazz: The Essential Companion (Paladin Books)
- Business Chinese
- Reaping The Whirlwind: The Civil Rights Movement In Tuskegee