Social Inequality And Social Stratification In U.S. Society
Social Inequality and Social Stratification in U.S. Society
Social Inequality – examining our present while understanding our past. Social Inequality and Social Statification in US Society, 1st edition uses a historical and conceptual framework to explain social stratification and social inequality. The historical scope gives context to each issue discussed and allows the reader to understand how each topic has evolved over the course of American history. The authors use qualitative data to help explain socioeconomic issues and connect related topics. Each chapter examines major concepts, so readers can see how an individual’s success in stratified settings often relies heavily on their access to valued resources–types of capital which involve finances, schooling, social networking, and cultural competence. Analyzing the impact of capital types throughout the text helps map out the prospects for individuals, families, and also classes to maintain or alter their position in social-stratification systems.
- Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Analyze the four major American classes, as well as how race and gender are linked to inequalities in the United States
- Understand attempts to reduce social inequality
- Identify major historical events that have influenced current trends
- Understand how qualitative sources help reveal...