Building Resilience: Social Capital In Post-Disaster Recovery
Building Resilience: Social Capital in Post-Disaster Recovery
Each year, natural disasters threaten the strength and stability of communities worldwide. Yet responses to the challenges of recovery vary greatly and in ways that aren’t explained by the magnitude of the catastrophe or the amount of aid provided by national governments or the international community. The difference between resilience and disrepair, as Daniel P. Aldrich shows, lies in the depth of communities’ social capital.
Building Resilience highlights the critical role of social capital in the ability of a community to withstand disaster and rebuild both the infrastructure and the ties that are at the foundation of any community. Aldrich examines the post-disaster responses of four distinct communities—Tokyo following the 1923 earthquake, Kobe after the 1995 earthquake, Tamil Nadu after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, and New Orleans post-Katrina—and finds that those with robust social networks were better able to coordinate recovery. In addition to quickly disseminating information and financial and physical assistance, communities with an abundance of social capital were able to minimize the migration of people and valuable resources out of the area.
With governments increasingly overstretched and natural disasters likely to increase in frequency and intensity, a thorough understanding of...
- Aura Reading Through All Your Senses: Celestial Perception Made Practical (Energy READING Skills For The Age Of Awakening)
- Arms And Armour As Indicators Of Cultural Transfer: The Steppes And The Ancient World From Hellenistic Times To The Early Middle Ages (Nomaden Und Sesshafte)
- Oxford Picture Dictionary Third Edition: English/Chinese Dictionary (English And Chinese Edition)
- PassKey EA Review, Part 1: Individuals: IRS Enrolled Agent Exam Study Guide 2014-2015 Edition (Volume 1)
- Little Book Of Big Potentials: 24 Fields Of Flow, Fulfillment, Abundance, And Joy In Everyday Life
- Digital Photography Through The Year, 2nd Edition
- The Flute Collection - Intermediate Level: Schirmer Instrumental Library For Flute & Piano (The Schirmer Instrumental Library)
- When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding And Healing The Effects Of Early Sexual Abuse On Childbearing Women
- A History Of Ancient Egypt: From The First Farmers To The Great Pyramid
- The Art Of Piano Pedaling: Two Classic Guides (Dover Books On Music)
- Message To The Blackman In America
- Writing Your Doctoral Dissertation Or Thesis Faster: A Proven Map To Success
- Medical Law And Ethics (5th Edition)
- The Oak Island Mystery, Solved
- Binding The Strong Man: A Political Reading Of Mark's Story Of Jesus
- Mom, Share Your Life With Me
- Collections: Performance Assessment Student Edition Grade 10
- Only Two Pills For This Pain?: Real Stories From A Small-Town ER (Volume 6)
- Adult Coloring Books: Color The 90's: The Ultimate 90's Coloring Book For Adults (Best Sellers)