Athene Palace: Hitler's "New Order" Comes To Rumania
Athene Palace: Hitler's "New Order" Comes to Rumania
On the day that Paris fell to the Nazis, R. G. Waldeck was checking into the swankiest hotel in Bucharest, the Athene Palace. A cosmopolitan center during the war, the hotel was populated by Italian and German oilmen hoping to secure new business opportunities in Romania, international spies cloaked in fake identities, and Nazi officers whom Waldeck discovered to be intelligent but utterly bloodless. A German Jew and a reporter for Newsweek, Waldeck became a close observer of the Nazi invasion. As King Carol first tried to placate the Nazis, then abdicated the throne in favor of his son, Waldeck was dressing for dinners with diplomats and cozying up to Nazi officers to get insight and information. From her unique vantage, she watched as Romania, a country with a pro-totalitarian elite and a deep strain of anti-Semitism, suffered civil unrest, a German invasion, and an earthquake, before turning against the Nazis.
A striking combination of social intimacy and disinterest political analysis, Athene Palace evokes the elegance and excitement of the dynamic international community in Bucharest before the world had comes to grips with the horrors of war and genocide. Waldeck’s account strikingly...
- Medicare QuickStart Guide: The Simplified Beginner's Guide To Medicare
- Sketch Diary For Kids: Bullet Grid Journal, 8 X 10, 150 Dot Grid Pages (sketchbook, Journal, Doodle)
- Whose Culture?: The Promise Of Museums And The Debate Over Antiquities
- Turfgrass Biology, Genetics, And Breeding
- The Possibility Of An Absolute Architecture (Writing Architecture)
- Peter Norton's Complete Guide To DOS 6.22
- Animals As Disguised Symbols In Renaissance Art (Brill's Studies In Intellectual History)
- Workplace Violence: Planning For Prevention And Response
- The Hanged Man Of Saint-Pholien (Inspector Maigret)
- K9 Search And Rescue: A Manual For Training The Natural Way (K9 Professional Training Series)
- - Harnessing The Wind: The Art Of Teaching Modern Dance: 1st (first) Edition
- Learn Game Programming With Ruby: Bring Your Ideas To Life With Gosu
- Shakespeare's Dark Lady: Amelia Bassano Lanier The Woman Behind Shakespeare's Plays?
- You Never Heard Of Sandy Koufax?!
- The Rhodesian War: Fifty Years On [From UDI]
- Duck & Goose
- Building A House For Diversity: A Fable About A Giraffe & An Elephant Offers New Strategies For Today's Workforce
- Dentro De Mi Imaginación (Spanish Edition)
- The Castrato: Reflections On Natures And Kinds (Ernest Bloch Lectures)