Mapping The Nation: History And Cartography In Nineteenth-Century America
Mapping the Nation: History and Cartography in Nineteenth-Century America
In the nineteenth century, Americans began to use maps in radically new ways. For the first time, medical men mapped diseases to understand and prevent epidemics, natural scientists mapped climate and rainfall to uncover weather patterns, educators mapped the past to foster national loyalty among students, and Northerners mapped slavery to assess the power of the South. After the Civil War, federal agencies embraced statistical and thematic mapping in order to profile the ethnic, racial, economic, moral, and physical attributes of a reunified nation. By the end of the century, Congress had authorized a national archive of maps, an explicit recognition that old maps were not relics to be discarded but unique records of the nation’s past.
All of these experiments involved the realization that maps were not just illustrations of data, but visual tools that were uniquely equipped to convey complex ideas and information. In Mapping the Nation, Susan Schulten charts how maps of epidemic disease, slavery, census statistics, the environment, and the past demonstrated the analytical potential of cartography, and in the process transformed the very meaning of a map.
Today, statistical and thematic maps are so ubiquitous that we take...
- El Nido De La Víbora The Visper's Nest ( Book 7) Spanish Edition (The 39 Clues)
- Welcome To The Club: 100 Parenting Milestones You Never Saw Coming
- Saint Thomas Aquinas: The Story Of The The Dumb Ox (Saints Lives)
- Zombie Coloring Book: Bring The Walking Dead To Life With 40 Horror And Halloween Style Zombie Designs For Adults (Horror And Halloween Coloring Books) (Volume 1)
- Gilbert's Pocket Size Law Dictionary--Brown: Newly Expanded 2nd Edition!
- Enciclopedia De Las Plantas De Acuario (Spanish Edition)
- A Hundred Thousand White Stones: An Ordinary Tibetan's Extraordinary Journey
- Confessions Of A Pagan Nun: A Novel
- Connect Access Card For Interpersonal Communication
- Free Font Index 1 (Agile Rabbit Editions) (No. 01)
- Making Childhood Colorful: Designing Books For Children
- Teatro Chicana: A Collective Memoir And Selected Plays (Chicana Matters (Paperback))
- Natural Causes: Death, Lies And Politics In America's Vitamin And Herbal Supplement Industry
- WatchOS By Tutorials Second Editon: Making Apple Watch Apps With WatchOS 3 And Swift 3
- The Inland Whale: Nine Stories Retold From California Indian Legends
- Western Philosophy: An Anthology
- A Dictionary Of Costume And Fashion: Historic And Modern (Dover Fashion And Costumes)
- Spiritual Science
- Remembering: Voices Of The Holocaust: A New History In The Words Of The Men And Women Who Survived
- Fast Guide To Cubase VST