Criminal Intimacy: Prison And The Uneven History Of Modern American Sexuality
Criminal Intimacy: Prison and the Uneven History of Modern American Sexuality
Sex is usually assumed to be a closely guarded secret of prison life. But it has long been the subject of intense scrutiny by both prison administrators and reformers—as well as a source of fascination and anxiety for the American public. Historically, sex behind bars has evoked radically different responses from professionals and the public alike. In Criminal Intimacy, Regina Kunzel tracks these varying interpretations and reveals their foundational influence on modern thinking about sexuality and identity.
Historians have held the fusion of sexual desire and identity to be the defining marker of sexual modernity, but sex behind bars, often involving otherwise heterosexual prisoners, calls those assumptions into question. By exploring the sexual lives of prisoners and the sexual culture of prisons over the past two centuries—along with the impact of a range of issues, including race, class, and gender; sexual violence; prisoners’ rights activism; and the HIV epidemic—Kunzel discovers a world whose surprising plurality and mutability reveals the fissures and fault lines beneath modern sexuality itself.
Drawing on a wide range of sources, including physicians, psychiatrists, sociologists, correctional administrators, journalists, and prisoners themselves—as well as depictions of prison...
- Hindsight: Boris Vallejo-- His Photographic Art
- Bagatelles, Rondos And Other Shorter Works For Piano (Dover Music For Piano)
- Slim Down Now: Shed Pounds And Inches With Pulses -- The New Superfood
- Cinematic Uses Of The Past
- The Critical Pedagogy Reader
- Preventing Sexual Abuse In Congregations: A Resource For Leaders
- Licks Of Love: Short Stories And A Sequel, "Rabbit Remembered"
- Japanese Tattoo Art Stained Glass Coloring Book (Dover Design Stained Glass Coloring Book)
- From Staff Room To Classroom: A Guide For Planning And Coaching Professional Development
- The Schema Therapy Clinician's Guide: A Complete Resource For Building And Delivering Individual, Group And Integrated Schema Mode Treatment Programs
- The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Laboratory: Build, Program, And Experiment With Five Wicked Cool Robots
- The Four Skills Of Cultural Diversity Competence (Methods/Practice With Diverse Populations)
- Latinization Of U.S. Schools: Successful Teaching And Learning In Shifting Cultural Contexts (Series In Critical Narrative)
- One Of A Kind: The Rise And Fall Of Stuey "The Kid" Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player
- Keep Talking English Audio Course - Ten Days To Confidence: Advanced Beginner's Guide To Speaking And Understanding With Confidence (Teach Yourself American & British English)
- Chronicle Of The Abbey Of Bury St. Edmunds (Oxford World's Classics)
- Nursing From The Inside-Out: Living And Nursing From The Highest Point Of Your Consciousness
- Hazardous Materials And Hazardous Waste Management
- Atlas Of The World's Religions
- Academic Instruction For Students With Moderate And Severe Intellectual Disabilities In Inclusive Classrooms