Criminal Intimacy: Prison And The Uneven History Of Modern American Sexuality
Criminal Intimacy: Prison and the Uneven History of Modern American Sexuality
Sex is usually assumed to be a closely guarded secret of prison life. But it has long been the subject of intense scrutiny by both prison administrators and reformers—as well as a source of fascination and anxiety for the American public. Historically, sex behind bars has evoked radically different responses from professionals and the public alike. In Criminal Intimacy, Regina Kunzel tracks these varying interpretations and reveals their foundational influence on modern thinking about sexuality and identity.
Historians have held the fusion of sexual desire and identity to be the defining marker of sexual modernity, but sex behind bars, often involving otherwise heterosexual prisoners, calls those assumptions into question. By exploring the sexual lives of prisoners and the sexual culture of prisons over the past two centuries—along with the impact of a range of issues, including race, class, and gender; sexual violence; prisoners’ rights activism; and the HIV epidemic—Kunzel discovers a world whose surprising plurality and mutability reveals the fissures and fault lines beneath modern sexuality itself.
Drawing on a wide range of sources, including physicians, psychiatrists, sociologists, correctional administrators, journalists, and prisoners themselves—as well as depictions of prison...
- Desarrollo De Aplicaciones Para IPhone & IPad
- Leviticus: Volume 4 (NEW COLLEGEVILLE BIBLE COMMENTARY: OLD TESTAMENT)
- My Side Of The Bridge: The Life Story Of Veronica Brodie As Told To Mary-Anne Gale
- Alfred Accent On Christmas And Holiday Ensembles Trombone/Baritone B.C.
- West Virginia, Wild & Scenic 2018 12 X 12 Inch Monthly Square Wall Calendar, USA United States Of America Southeast State Nature
- The Complete Works Of W. H. Auden: Prose, Vol. 2: 1939-1948
- Folktales And Fairy Tales [4 Volumes]: Traditions And Texts From Around The World, 2nd Edition
- Healthy Snacks On MyPlate (What's On MyPlate?)
- Criminal Procedure
- Symphonies Nos. 1, 2 And 3 In Full Score (Dover Music Scores)
- Análisis Bioquímico
- Sound Media: From Live Journalism To Musical Recording
- From Cells To Souls-And Beyond: Changing Portraits Of Human Nature
- The Old Testament: A Historical, Theological, And Critical Introduction
- The Feast Of Bacchus
- Hebrews (LifeChange)
- No Logo (Spanish Edition)
- Thinking With Type, 2nd Revised And Expanded Edition: A Critical Guide For Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students