A Brief History Of American Sports
A Brief History of American Sports
Elliott J. Gorn and Warren Goldstein show us where our games and pastimes came from, how they developed, and what they have meant to Americans. The great heroes of baseball and football are here, as well as the dramatic moments of boxing and basketball. Beyond this, the authors show us how sports fit into the larger contours of our past.
For this new edition, the authors have updated the book to include discussion of performance-enhancing drugs; player salaries, unions, and the business of internationalizing sport; Title IX and gender in American sports; race, especially the entry of Latino and Asian athletes; and the corporatization of amateur athletics. A Brief History of American Sports reveals that from colonial times to the present, sports have been central to American culture, and a profound expression of who we are.
"If history were baseball, Gorn and Goldstein would get credit for a triple play: they have skillfully and imaginatively integrated sports into the framework of American culture and society, produced a pioneering work which should have enduring influence, and given us a scholarly history which is delightful to read. It's a terrific book in...
- ManageFirst: Customer Service With Answer Sheet (2nd Edition)
- Berenstain Bear's Stories CD
- The Biggest Snowman Ever
- Low Carb: Don't Starve! How To Fit Into Your Old Jeans In 7 Days Without Starvin (Low Carb: Don't Starve! How To Fit Into Your Old Jeans In 7 Days Without Starving With A Low Carb & High Protein Diet)
- The Sacred Path Companion: A Guide To Walking The Labyrinth To Heal And Transform
- The Dark Side Of The Moon
- ESCAPES Joyful Gardens Coloring Book (Adult Coloring)
- David Hockney: Current
- Little Butterfly: Finger Puppet Book (Little Finger Puppet Board Books)
- Land Of A Hundred Wonders
- Among The Lowest Of The Dead: The Culture Of Capital Punishment (Law, Meaning, And Violence)
- Drum Class Method, Vol 2: Effectively Presenting The Rudiments Of Drumming And The Reading Of Music
- ILLINOIS WOMEN ARTISTS: THE NEW MILLENNIUM
- Do It! Marketing: 77 Instant-Action Ideas To Boost Sales, Maximize Profits, And Crush Your Competition
- Vernon And Irene Castle's Ragtime Revolution
- Sabbath As Resistance: Saying No To The Culture Of Now
- Operaciones Unitarias, Evaporación: Aplicaciones Y Cálculos (Spanish Edition)
- Data Quality Assessment
- Hans Knappertsbusch. Kna: Concert Register And Discography Of Hans Knappertsbusch, 1888-1965. Second Edition. .
- The Use Of Forensic Anthropology