Zombies, Migrants, And Queers: Race And Crisis Capitalism In Pop Culture
Zombies, Migrants, and Queers: Race and Crisis Capitalism in Pop Culture
The alarm and anxiety unleashed by the Great Recession found fascinating expression across popular culture. Harried survivors negotiated societal collapse in The Walking Dead. Middle-class whites crossed the literal and metaphorical Mexican border on Breaking Bad or coped with a lack of freedom among the marginalized on Orange Is the New Black. Camilla Fojas uses representations of people of color, the incarcerated, and trans/queers--vulnerable populations all--to work through the contradictions created by the economic crisis and its freefalling aftermath. Television, film, advertising, and media coverage of the crisis created a distinct kind of story about capitalism and the violence that supports it. Fojas shows how these pop culture moments reshaped social dynamics and people's economic sensibilities and connects the ways pop culture reflected economic devastation. She also examines how these artifacts illuminated parts of society usually kept off-screen or on the margins even as they defaulted to stories of white protagonists.
"Fojas has done it again. With her trademark elegance of prose and sharp cutting cultural critique she slices through those thick layers of capitalist ideology that wrap all variety of popular cultural entertainment. From...
- PSAT/NMSQT Prep 2018: 2 Practice Tests + Proven Strategies + Online (Kaplan Test Prep)
- The Penguin Guide To Jazz On CD, 5th Edition
- Celtic From The West: Alternative Perspectives From Archaeology, Genetics, Language And Literature (Celtic Studies Publications)
- LEGO City: Where's The Pizza Boy?
- The Mathematica GuideBook For Programming
- Best Of Wes Montgomery: Guitar (Signature Licks)
- When Findus Was Little And Disappeared (Findus And Pettson)
- PRENTICE HALL EARTH SCIENCE CHAPTER TESTS AND ANSWER KEY
- Prealgebra (5th Edition)
- Poem A Day, Vol. 1
- The 7 Signals Of Meaning: How Writers Can Say What They Mean
- The Genius Of The System: Hollywood Filmmaking In The Studio Era
- The Mirage Of A Space Between Nature And Nurture
- Print!: 25 Original Projects Using Hand-Printing Techniques On Fabric And Paper (C&B Crafts)
- Speaking To Teenagers: How To Think About, Create, And Deliver Effective Messages
- Evening Stars (Blackberry Island)
- Rocket Propulsion Elements, 7th Edition
- Forgive And Remember: Managing Medical Failure, 2nd Edition
- With Rommel In The Desert: Tripoli To El Alamein (Images Of War)
- A New Law Dictionary; Comprehending A General Abridgment Of The Law, On A More Extensive Plan Than Has Hitherto Been Attempted: Containing Not Only: A ... With Regard To Theory And Practice...4 Vols.