The Long Lost Friend: A Collection Of Mysterious And Invaluable Arts And Remedies, For Man As Well As Animals: Of Their Virtue And Efficacy In Healing ... Time In The U.S. In The Year 1820 (Metalmark)
The Long Lost Friend: A Collection of Mysterious and Invaluable Arts and Remedies, for Man as Well as Animals: Of Their Virtue and Efficacy in Healing ... Time in the U.S. in the Year 1820 (Metalmark)
Johann Georg Hohman's Long Lost Friend compiled practical uses of mysterious folk magic and rural home remedies rooted in medieval Europe. First published in America in 1820, these methods derive from Christian theology and shamanistic practices often credited to German immigrants. The chapbook exposes the spells, charms, benedictions, incantations, amulets, talismans, palindromes, herbs, elixirs, potions of animal parts, and herbal remedies that might cure all manner of human afflictions, guard against witches and robbers, and protect cattle and crops. Legend has it that simply carrying this book of Christian magic helped to ward off supernatural forces.
The treatments featured in the book reflect the transfer of European culture and concerns to pastoral life in early Pennsylvania. What has become known as the art of powwow among Pennsylvania Dutch citizens and scholars is still practiced in some rural areas of the state. The collection is cited widely, from enthusiasts of African-American Hoodoo to theology scholars, and it preserves a fine example of ethnic heritage.
- Runes Of The North (Fesler-Lampert Minnesota Heritage)
- Educational And Psychological Research: A Cross-Section Of Journal Articles For Analysis And Evaluation
- Supporting English Language Learners In Math Class, Grades 3-5
- : The Complete Kake Comics
- Pokemon Coloring Book: A Great Coloring Book On The Pokemon Characters. Great Starter Book For Young Children Aged 3+. An A4 80 Page Book For Any Avid Fan Of Pokemon
- Nine Dragons (A Harry Bosch Novel)
- Graphs & Digraphs, Fourth Edition (Textbooks In Mathematics)
- The Protein Counter 3rd Edition
- Twentieth Century Watercolors
- Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics In The Common Core, Grades 3-5: 25 Formative Assessment Probes
- Mermaid Cookbook
- Where Do We Go From Here?
- Practical Mental Magic (Dover Magic Books) [Paperback]  (Author) Theodore Annemann
- Stories For 3 Year Olds
- The People Of The Abyss / The Road / The Iron Heel / Martin Eden / John Barleycorn
- Women In Sports [2 Volumes]: Breaking Barriers, Facing Obstacles
- The Mathematica GuideBook For Graphics
- The Oak Ridge Boys: Our Story
- Illustrators Quarterly: Issue 16
- Election Law In The American Political System (Aspen Casebook)