The Long Lost Friend: A Collection Of Mysterious And Invaluable Arts And Remedies, For Man As Well As Animals: Of Their Virtue And Efficacy In Healing ... Time In The U.S. In The Year 1820 (Metalmark)
The Long Lost Friend: A Collection of Mysterious and Invaluable Arts and Remedies, for Man as Well as Animals: Of Their Virtue and Efficacy in Healing ... Time in the U.S. in the Year 1820 (Metalmark)
Johann Georg Hohman's Long Lost Friend compiled practical uses of mysterious folk magic and rural home remedies rooted in medieval Europe. First published in America in 1820, these methods derive from Christian theology and shamanistic practices often credited to German immigrants. The chapbook exposes the spells, charms, benedictions, incantations, amulets, talismans, palindromes, herbs, elixirs, potions of animal parts, and herbal remedies that might cure all manner of human afflictions, guard against witches and robbers, and protect cattle and crops. Legend has it that simply carrying this book of Christian magic helped to ward off supernatural forces.
The treatments featured in the book reflect the transfer of European culture and concerns to pastoral life in early Pennsylvania. What has become known as the art of powwow among Pennsylvania Dutch citizens and scholars is still practiced in some rural areas of the state. The collection is cited widely, from enthusiasts of African-American Hoodoo to theology scholars, and it preserves a fine example of ethnic heritage.
- The Bartered Bride: Vocal Score (G. Schirmer Opera Score Editions)
- Digital Marketing Handbook: A Guide To Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click Marketing, Email Marketing, Content Marketing, Social Media Marketing
- A Leadership Journey In Health Care: Virginia Mason's Story
- Stink: Superhéroe Del Sistema Solar (Spanish Edition)
- Arthur, For The Very First Time
- Show & Tell In A Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions From Telling To Showing
- Installation Art [Paperback]  (Author) Claire Bishop
- Women And Christian Origins
- The Manager's Pocket Guide To Leadership Skills (Manager's Pocket Guide Series)
- Think Smarter: Critical Thinking To Improve Problem-Solving And Decision-Making Skills
- Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions
- Contracts: The Essential Business Desk Reference
- To Serve God And Mammon: Church–State Relations In American Politics (Religion And Politics)
- Creating Your Own Grooves
- Fundamentals Of Marketing Research
- Manual Of Clinical Periodontics: A Reference Manual For Diagnosis & Treatment (Lexi-Comp's Dental Reference Library)
- Where's Banksy?: Banksy's Greatest Works In Context
- Journal Of An ADHD Kid: The Good, The Bad, And The Useful
- Symbolic Interactionism: An Introduction, An Interpretation, An Integration (7th Edition)
- Metaphysical Anatomy Technique Volume 2: Your Body Is Talking Are You Listening?