Mexican Americans: Leadership, Ideology, And Identity, 1930-1960 (The Lamar Series In Western History)
Mexican Americans: Leadership, Ideology, and Identity, 1930-1960 (The Lamar Series in Western History)
A pioneering political and intellectual history of the Chicano leaders who emerged from the barrios of the Southwest between 1930 and 1960—Ignacio L. López, George I. Sanchez, Josefina Fierro de Bright, and others—and of their effort to capture first-class citizenship for Mexican Americans. Drawing extensively on archival material and oral history, Mario T. García discusses the key figures, organizations, and issues of the movement; in so doing he casts new light not only on Chicano history but also on the histories of American ethnicity and civil rights movements.
"This is a much-needed study of a neglected period in the history of the Mexican-American struggle against discrimination. The author successfully bridges the gap between studies of the Immigrant Period and Chicano Movement in the 1950s and 1960s. The leaders are the focus but in the context of the struggle of the Mexican-American people for self-determination. Not just scholars, but anyone who is interested in understanding more of the history of all of the people of the United States can usefully read this book."—Mary Frances Berry, Geraldine R. Segal Professor of American Social Thought and...
- French At A Glance: Foreign Language Phrasebook & Dictionary (At A Glance Series)
- Upside-Down Dogs
- Body Toxic: An Environmental Memoir
- Chiropractic Cash Only Practice, The Book
- Get Hired Fast! Tap The Hidden Job Market In 15 Days
- Vivaldi (Great Composers)
- Tokyo Fiancee
- Life's Lessons Learned
- Pattern Book Of New Orleans Architecture, A
- How To Be Happy (Or At Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook
- Making A Home For Faith: Nurturing The Spiritual Life Of Your Children
- Turbomaquinas Hidraulicas (2ª Ed.)
- Interactive Science, Grade 5
- Wind Power (Energy For Today)
- Modern Dance In Education: Techniques And Dances,
- Don't Push The Button!
- Blank Sheet Music: Purple Cover,Music Manuscript Paper, Staff Paper, Musicians Notebook, Durable Book Binding,(Composition Books - Music Manuscript ... Stave * 100 Pages, 8" X 10" (20.32 X 25.4 Cm)
- Genuine Lies
- Dark Summit: The True Story Of Everest's Most Controversial Season
- Original Hot Five Recordings Of Louis Armstrong (Cms Sourcebooks In American Music)