An Introduction To Art
An Introduction to Art
This original and inspiring book offers clear and wide-ranging introduction to the arts of painting and sculpture, to the principal artistic print media, and to the visual arts of modernism and post-modernism. Covering the entire history of art, from Paleolithic cave painting to contemporary art, it provides foundational guidance to the basic character and techniques of the different art forms, to the various genres of painting in the western tradition, and to the techniques of sculpture as they have been practiced over several millenia and across a wide range of cultures. Throughout the book, Harrison discusses the relative priorities of aesthetic appreciation and historical inquiry, and of the importance of combining the two approaches. Written in a style that is at once graceful, engaging, and personal, as well as analytical and exact, this illuminating book offers an impassioned and timely defense of the importance and value of the first-hand encounter with works of art, whether in museums or in their original locations.
Designed to be useful and attractive to students and teachers of art, art history, and aesthetics, the book will appeal also to...
- Clinical Trials In Oncology, Third Edition (Chapman & Hall/CRC Interdisciplinary Statistics)
- SCHOOL OF VIOLIN TECHNICS COMPLETE PARTS I-IV OP. 1 (Schirmers Library Of Musical Classics)
- GREAT HUMAN POTENTIAL: Walking In One's Own Light
- Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary Of Jerry Kramer
- Store Windows No. 15
- Prego! An Invitation To Italian
- Literature, Journalism And The Avant-Garde: Intersection In Egypt (Routledge Studies In Middle Eastern Literatures)
- Fiberglass & Other Composite Materials: A Guide To High Performance Non-Metallic Materials For Race Cars, Street Rods, Body Shops, Boats, And Aircraft.
- Marriage In Culture: Practice And Meaning Across Diverse Societies
- Rockford Practice Set To Accompany Intermediate Accounting, 16e
- Kill City Blues: A Sandman Slim Novel
- Berry Finder: A Guide To Native Plants With Fleshy Fruits
- Graffiti Art Coloring Book
- Violence On The Margins: States, Conflict, And Borderlands (Palgrave Series In African Borderlands Studies)
- The Blockade (First Salik War)
- Greek, Classical Vocabulary Cards: Academic Study Card Set (Greek Edition)
- Boats (Picture Puffin Books)
- AP U.S. History 2017-2018 (Kaplan Test Prep)
- Journal Your Life's Journey: Graffiti Wall Urban, Lined Journal, 6 X 9, 100 Pages
- Reading Pop Culture: A Portable Anthology