An Introduction To Art
An Introduction to Art
This original and inspiring book offers clear and wide-ranging introduction to the arts of painting and sculpture, to the principal artistic print media, and to the visual arts of modernism and post-modernism. Covering the entire history of art, from Paleolithic cave painting to contemporary art, it provides foundational guidance to the basic character and techniques of the different art forms, to the various genres of painting in the western tradition, and to the techniques of sculpture as they have been practiced over several millenia and across a wide range of cultures. Throughout the book, Harrison discusses the relative priorities of aesthetic appreciation and historical inquiry, and of the importance of combining the two approaches. Written in a style that is at once graceful, engaging, and personal, as well as analytical and exact, this illuminating book offers an impassioned and timely defense of the importance and value of the first-hand encounter with works of art, whether in museums or in their original locations.
Designed to be useful and attractive to students and teachers of art, art history, and aesthetics, the book will appeal also to...
- The Nanny Bargain (Hearts Of Hunter Ridge)
- What Does That Mean?: Exploring Mind, Meaning, And Mysteries
- Lucinda's Secret (Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 3)
- Rediscover Catholicism
- Master Guide For Photographing High School Seniors
- Sing 'n Learn Vietnamese Book With Audio CD (English And Vietnamese Edition)
- The First Book Of Baritone/Bass Solos: Book/Online Audio (First Book Of Solos)
- My Weird School Daze #3: Mr. Granite Is From Another Planet!
- Prayers And Meditations Of St. Anselm With The Proslogion (Penguin Classics)
- Anatomy Terminology (Quick Study Academic)
- Blind Faith
- Will Smith: King Of Cool
- Essentials Of CRM: A Guide To Customer Relationship Management (Essentials Series)
- David Maisel: Proving Ground
- Mastery Of Your Anxiety And Panic: Workbook (Treatments That Work)
- Apprenticeship Patterns: Guidance For The Aspiring Software Craftsman
- Rehearsing: Critical Connections For The Instrumental Music Conductor
- Their Kingdom Come: Inside The Secret World Of Opus Dei
- The 40s: The Story Of A Decade
- The Million-Dollar Financial Advisor: Powerful Lessons And Proven Strategies From Top Producers (Agency/Distributed)