Second Nature: Brain Science And Human Knowledge
Second Nature: Brain Science and Human Knowledge
Burgeoning advancements in brain science are opening up new perspectives on how we acquire knowledge. Indeed, it is now possible to explore consciousnessthe very center of human concernby scientific means. In this illuminating book, Dr. Gerald M. Edelman offers a new theory of knowledge based on striking scientific findings about how the brain works. And he addresses the related compelling question: Does the latest research imply that all knowledge can be reduced to scientific description?
Edelman’s brain-based approach to knowledge has rich implications for our understanding of creativity, of the normal and abnormal functioning of the brain, and of the connections among the different ways we have of knowing. While the gulf between science and the humanities and their respective views of the world has seemed enormous in the past, the author shows that their differences can be dissolved by considering their origins in brain functions. He foresees a day when brain-based devices will be conscious, and he reflects on this and other fascinating ideas about how we come to know the world and ourselves.
"Until this provocative book, I thought that Gerald Edelman was merely one of our greatest...
- Susan Rothenberg: Moving In Place
- My Elizabeth
- Color Atlas Of Internal Medicine
- Airbrush Art In Japan
- Quieting Your Heart: 6-Month Bible-Study Journal
- Cayman Islands Company Laws And Regulations Handbook (World Law Business Library)
- Fear And Other Uninvited Guests
- Fashion Prints In The Age Of Louis XIV: Interpreting The Art Of Elegance (Costume Society Of America Series)
- Vermeer 2017 Wall Calendar
- Travels In The Interior Districts Of Africa
- Mayo Clinic Guide To Your Baby's First Year: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
- The Big Book Of Soul: The Ultimate Guide To The African American Spirit
- The Journey Of Little Gandhi: A Novel
- Coding Interviews: Questions, Analysis & Solutions (Expert's Voice In Programming)
- Black & White Artistry: The Creative Photographer's Guide To Interpreting Places And Spaces
- Five Chiefs: A Supreme Court Memoir
- Tenney (American Girl: Tenney Grant, Book 1)
- Lyrical Conducting: A New Dimension In Expressive Musicianship
- Rebel (The Starbuck Chronicles #1)
- BNF 73 (British National Formulary) March 2017