Second Nature: Brain Science And Human Knowledge
Second Nature: Brain Science and Human Knowledge
Burgeoning advancements in brain science are opening up new perspectives on how we acquire knowledge. Indeed, it is now possible to explore consciousnessthe very center of human concernby scientific means. In this illuminating book, Dr. Gerald M. Edelman offers a new theory of knowledge based on striking scientific findings about how the brain works. And he addresses the related compelling question: Does the latest research imply that all knowledge can be reduced to scientific description?
Edelman’s brain-based approach to knowledge has rich implications for our understanding of creativity, of the normal and abnormal functioning of the brain, and of the connections among the different ways we have of knowing. While the gulf between science and the humanities and their respective views of the world has seemed enormous in the past, the author shows that their differences can be dissolved by considering their origins in brain functions. He foresees a day when brain-based devices will be conscious, and he reflects on this and other fascinating ideas about how we come to know the world and ourselves.
"Until this provocative book, I thought that Gerald Edelman was merely one of our greatest...
- Living The Quaker Way: Discover The Hidden Happiness In The Simple Life
- Traditional Japanese Vector Motifs (Dover Electronic Clip Art)
- Large Animal Clinical Procedures For Veterinary Technicians, 2e
- The Autobiography Of George Muller
- The Way We Lived: Essays And Documents In American Social History, Volume I: 1492-1877
- The Complete Woodblock Prints Of Kitagawa Utamaro: A Descriptive Catalogue
- Traditional, Country And Electric Slide Guitar (Book And Record)
- El Evangelio Segun Los Simpson (Spanish Edition)
- The New York Times Crosswords For A Lazy Day: 130 Fun, Easy Puzzles (New York Times Crossword Puzzles)
- Knock Knock In My Humble Opinion Mini Inner-Truth Journal
- The Typewriter Revolution: A Typist's Companion For The 21st Century
- American Veda: From Emerson And The Beatles To Yoga And Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed The West
- Preaching: Communicating Faith In An Age Of Skepticism
- Reading The Everyday
- The Negotiator (The O'Malley Series #1)
- Sisters Of Salome
- Mini Dental Implants: Principles And Practice, 1e
- Complete Little Orphan Annie Volume 9
- Sudoku Clásico Para Niños 9x9 - De Fácil A Experto - Volumen 8 - 145 Puzzles (Sudoku Para Niños) (Volume 8) (Spanish Edition)