What Really Happened In The Garden Of Eden?
What Really Happened in the Garden of Eden?
The Garden of Eden story, one of the most famous narratives in Western history, is typically read as an ancient account of original sin and humanity’s fall from divine grace. In this highly innovative study, Ziony Zevit argues that this is not how ancient Israelites understood the early biblical text. Drawing on such diverse disciplines as biblical studies, geography, archaeology, mythology, anthropology, biology, poetics, law, linguistics, and literary theory, he clarifies the worldview of the ancient Israelite readers during the First Temple period and elucidates what the story likely meant in its original context.
Most provocatively, he contends that our ideas about original sin are based upon misconceptions originating in the Second Temple period under the influence of Hellenism. He shows how, for Ancient Israelites, the story was really about how humans achieved ethical discernment. He argues further that Adam was not made from dust and that Eve was not made from Adam’s rib. His study unsettles much of what has been taken for granted about the story for more than two millennia and has far-reaching implications for both literary and theological interpreters.
- Cambridge Illuminations: Conference Proceedings (Studies In Medieval And Early Renaissance Art History)
- Rejoicing In Lament: Wrestling With Incurable Cancer And Life In Christ
- Short Book About Oil Painting
- Society And Technological Change
- Algorithmization In Learning And Instruction
- I Once Had A Farm In Ireland
- Joshua L. Chamberlain: A Concise Biography Of The Iconic Hero
- The Morality Of Knowledge In Conversation (Studies In Interactional Sociolinguistics)
- Instrumentation And Orchestration
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, And The Constitution
- It's Our Research: Getting Stakeholder Buy-in For User Experience Research Projects
- Encyclopedia Prehistorica: Sharks And Other Sea Monsters
- Book Of Lies: The Disinformation Guide To Magick And The Occult
- Love Monster And The Last Chocolate
- Giorgetto Giugiaro: The Genius Of Design
- Tiny And Full: Eat More, Weigh Less, And Turn Off Hunger All Day
- National Trade And Professional Associations Of The United States: 2014 (Report Of The Commission On Narcotic Drugs On Its Session)
- Illinois Trees & Wildflowers: A Folding Pocket Guide To Familiar Species (A Pocket Naturalist Guide)
- Analisis Economico Aplicado A La Industria Petrolera. Tomo II (Spanish Edition)
- The Design Patterns Smalltalk Companion