What Really Happened In The Garden Of Eden?
What Really Happened in the Garden of Eden?
The Garden of Eden story, one of the most famous narratives in Western history, is typically read as an ancient account of original sin and humanity’s fall from divine grace. In this highly innovative study, Ziony Zevit argues that this is not how ancient Israelites understood the early biblical text. Drawing on such diverse disciplines as biblical studies, geography, archaeology, mythology, anthropology, biology, poetics, law, linguistics, and literary theory, he clarifies the worldview of the ancient Israelite readers during the First Temple period and elucidates what the story likely meant in its original context.
Most provocatively, he contends that our ideas about original sin are based upon misconceptions originating in the Second Temple period under the influence of Hellenism. He shows how, for Ancient Israelites, the story was really about how humans achieved ethical discernment. He argues further that Adam was not made from dust and that Eve was not made from Adam’s rib. His study unsettles much of what has been taken for granted about the story for more than two millennia and has far-reaching implications for both literary and theological interpreters.
- Death Of The Wehrmacht: The German Campaigns Of 1942 (Modern War Studies (Paperback))
- Lamp Black, Wolf Grey: A Novel
- The Whispering Muse: A Novel
- Made For Happiness: Discovering The Meaning Of Life With Aristotle
- The Archaeology Of Greece: An Introduction, 2nd Edition
- Richard III And The Princes In The Tower
- Guitars Calendar 2017: 16 Month Calendar
- Skinny Bitch Bun In The Oven: A Gutsy Guide To Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!
- Summer Of The Monkeys: Novel-Ties Study Guide
- Storytelling Portrait Photography: How To Document The Lives Of Children And Families
- Cataclysm 90 BC: The Forgotten War That Almost Destroyed Rome
- Sun Yat-Sen (World Leaders Past And Present)
- The 15 Commitments Of Conscious Leadership: A New Paradigm For Sustainable Success
- The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook, Updated And Revised: The Ultimate Guide To The Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet
- Fables, Vol. 19: Snow White
- Family Happiness
- Origins Of The Crash: The Great Bubble And Its Undoing
- Ghost Buck: The Legacy Of One Man's Family And Its Hunting Traditions
- Heavy Bag Combinations: The Ultimate Guide To Heavy Bag Punching Combinations (Heavy Bag Training Series) (Volume 2)