What Really Happened In The Garden Of Eden?
What Really Happened in the Garden of Eden?
The Garden of Eden story, one of the most famous narratives in Western history, is typically read as an ancient account of original sin and humanity’s fall from divine grace. In this highly innovative study, Ziony Zevit argues that this is not how ancient Israelites understood the early biblical text. Drawing on such diverse disciplines as biblical studies, geography, archaeology, mythology, anthropology, biology, poetics, law, linguistics, and literary theory, he clarifies the worldview of the ancient Israelite readers during the First Temple period and elucidates what the story likely meant in its original context.
Most provocatively, he contends that our ideas about original sin are based upon misconceptions originating in the Second Temple period under the influence of Hellenism. He shows how, for Ancient Israelites, the story was really about how humans achieved ethical discernment. He argues further that Adam was not made from dust and that Eve was not made from Adam’s rib. His study unsettles much of what has been taken for granted about the story for more than two millennia and has far-reaching implications for both literary and theological interpreters.
- Nail Candy: 50+ Ideas For Totally Cool Nails
- The King's German Legion (2): 1812–16 (Men-at-Arms) (v. 2)
- Four Views On The Book Of Revelation
- Slave To The Needle: 20 Years Of Original Art From A Celebrated Seattle Tattoo Shop
- Biking Northern Michigan: The Best & Safest Routes In The Lower Peninsula
- 90 Years Of Nürburgring: The History Of The Famous "nordschleife"
- The Child's Changing Consciousness: As The Basis Of Pedagogical Practice (Foundations Of Waldorf Education)
- Red Cap
- Only For You (The Dugrandpres Of Charleston)
- Printmaking + Mixed Media [Paperback]  Dorit Elisha
- Why Good People Do Bad Things: Understanding Our Darker Selves
- The Light Of Christmas
- Beginning Node.js
- Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide To David Brin's Uplift Universe
- LOS DIVERTIMENTE 8-9 A�OS 52 RETOS
- African Grey Parrots. African Grey Parrot Owners Manual. African Grey Parrot Care, Interaction, Feeding, Training And Common Mistakes.
- The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles Series #2)
- Creating 3-D Animation: The Aardman Book Of Filmmaking