Handbags: The Making Of A Museum
Handbags: The Making of a Museum
The history of the handbag—its design, how it has been made, used, and worn—reveals something essential about women's lives over the past 500 years. Perhaps the most universal item of fashionable adornment, it can also be elusive, an object of desire, secrecy, and even fear. Handbags explores these rich histories and multiple meanings.
This book features specially commissioned photographs of an extraordinary, newly formed collection of fashionable handbags that date from the 16th century to the present day. It has been acquired for exhibition in the first museum devoted to the handbag, in Seoul, South Korea. The project is a commission undertaken by experimental exhibition-maker Judith Clark, whose innovative practices are revealed in Handbags.
Essays by leading fashion historians and an acclaimed psychoanalyst investigate the history of gesture, the psychoanalysis of bags, and the museum's state-of-the-art mannequins and archive cabinets. In order to preserve the words that describe the unique qualities of each bag, a terminology of handbags has been compiled.
About the Author
- If You Lived With The Iroquois
- The Intemperate Rainforest: Nature, Culture, And Power On Canada's West Coast
- I Like Giving: The Transforming Power Of A Generous Life
- Tango Variations : 12 Pieces That Dance Between The Traditional & The Modern By Tango Libre, Astor Piazzolla, Gotan Project, Gidon Kremer, Campo, Tanghetto, The (January 1, 2010)
- Legends 2: Outstanding Quarter Horse Stallions And Mares
- Grown Up Coloring Book: Coloring Books For Grownups : Stress Relieving Patterns (Volume 2)
- Beginning And Intermediate Algebra With Applications & Visualization (3rd Edition)
- The Kitchen Table Book: 1,427 Kitchen Cures And Pantry Potions For Just About Every Health And Household Problem
- Dismissal Doesn't Have To Be Difficult: What Every Administrator And Supervisor Should Know
- The Lawyer's Guide To Collaboration Tools And Technologies: Smart Ways To Work Together
- Animals (Drawing Workshop Drawing Workshop)
- Hinman Gymnastic And Folk Dancing. Vol. 1. Solo Dances.
- Thousand Words
- Lean Six Sigma For Supply Chain Management, Second Edition: The 10-Step Solution Process (Mechanical Engineering)
- MySQL Certification Study Guide
- My First Time W: Advertising's Top Women Creatives Talk About Their First Commercial, Ad, Or Site And What They Learned From It
- Mega-Producer Results In Commercial Real Estate
- Judy Hall's Complete Crystal Workshop
- BMW M3: The Complete Story