Benjamin Franklin: The Religious Life Of A Founding Father
Benjamin Franklin: The Religious Life of a Founding Father
Renowned as a printer, scientist, and diplomat, Benjamin Franklin also published more works on religious topics than any other eighteenth-century American layperson. Born to Boston Puritans, by his teenage years Franklin had abandoned the exclusive Christian faith of his family and embraced deism. But Franklin, as a man of faith, was far more complex than the “thorough deist” who emerges in his autobiography. As Thomas Kidd reveals, deist writers influenced Franklin’s beliefs, to be sure, but devout Christians in his life—including George Whitefield, the era’s greatest evangelical preacher; his parents; and his beloved sister Jane—kept him tethered to the Calvinist creed of his Puritan upbringing. Based on rigorous research into Franklin’s voluminous correspondence, essays, and almanacs, this fresh assessment of a well-known figure unpacks the contradictions and conundrums faith presented in Franklin’s life.
“A convincing portrait of Franklin’s religion as ambiguous, elusive, enigmatic, and whimsical. He appears in the pages of this welcome book as a forerunner of many later Americans who believe in God, trust in providence, but cannot embrace any particular...
- The Pivot Of Civilization
- Trans-Siberian Railway (Lonely Planet Travel Guides)
- Star Wars Y La Filosofia (Spanish Edition)
- The Einsatzgruppen Or Murder Commandos (Volume 10 Of The Holocaust: Selected Documents In 18 Volumes) (Holocaust Series)
- Workbook: Harmony And Voice Leading, Volume 1
- Sage Advice: Pirkei Avot
- Fruits Of Warm Climates
- Pimsleur Chinese (Mandarin) Level 3 CD: Learn To Speak And Understand Mandarin Chinese With Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive)
- Writing Great Speeches: Professional Techniques You Can Use (Part Of The Essence Of Public Speaking Series)
- Comets: Nature, Dynamics, Origin, And Their Cosmogonical Relevance (Astrophysics And Space Science Library) (v. 328)
- The Key & Diary Of A Mad Old Man
- The Midnight Star (A Young Elites Novel)
- Media/Society: Industries, Images, And Audiences
- Mourning Becomes The Law: Philosophy And Representation
- Lo Que El Cerebro Nos Dice: Los Misterios De La Mente Humana Al Descubierto (Spanish Edition)
- Lost Ski Areas Of Colorado's Front Range And Northern Mountains
- Theorizing The City: The New Urban Anthropology Reader
- Los Paraisos Fiscales.
- Dance College Guide, 2003-2004 (Dance Magazine College Guide)
- Lifeline: My Fight To Save My Family