Benjamin Franklin: The Religious Life Of A Founding Father
Benjamin Franklin: The Religious Life of a Founding Father
Renowned as a printer, scientist, and diplomat, Benjamin Franklin also published more works on religious topics than any other eighteenth-century American layperson. Born to Boston Puritans, by his teenage years Franklin had abandoned the exclusive Christian faith of his family and embraced deism. But Franklin, as a man of faith, was far more complex than the “thorough deist” who emerges in his autobiography. As Thomas Kidd reveals, deist writers influenced Franklin’s beliefs, to be sure, but devout Christians in his life—including George Whitefield, the era’s greatest evangelical preacher; his parents; and his beloved sister Jane—kept him tethered to the Calvinist creed of his Puritan upbringing. Based on rigorous research into Franklin’s voluminous correspondence, essays, and almanacs, this fresh assessment of a well-known figure unpacks the contradictions and conundrums faith presented in Franklin’s life.
“A convincing portrait of Franklin’s religion as ambiguous, elusive, enigmatic, and whimsical. He appears in the pages of this welcome book as a forerunner of many later Americans who believe in God, trust in providence, but cannot embrace any particular...
- Creative Dressage Schooling: Enjoy The Training Process With 55 Meaningful Exercises
- Feel Like Going Home: Portraits In Blues And Rock 'n' Roll
- A Blistered Kind Of Love: One Couple's Trial By Trail (Barbara Savage Award Winner)
- The Last Time I Saw You: A Novel
- Aesthetics Of Music: Aesthetics Of Music In The Early Renaissance (Volume 3)
- Lovesick Blues: The Life Of Hank Williams
- Convergence: Infinite Earths Book Two
- Color Your World With Natural Church Development
- Constructivist Instruction: Success Or Failure?
- The Guide To Good Mental Health On The Autism Spectrum
- Eminem: The Stories Behind Every Song
- Jacques Pépin More Fast Food My Way
- Adult Coloring Book: Coloring Books For Adults Relaxation : Relaxation & Stress Relieving Patterns (Volume 9)
- Chasing The Divine In The Holy Land
- The Black Box (Harry Bosch)
- Harley Quinn Vol. 5: The Joker's Last Laugh
- Immigrant Voices: New Lives In America, 1773-1986
- Nadie Es Mas Que Nadie (Spanish Edition)
- 4G, LTE-Advanced Pro And The Road To 5G, Third Edition
- Guide To The Pianist's Repertoire, 2nd Revised And Enlarged Ed.