A History Of The Gypsies Of Eastern Europe And Russia
A History of the Gypsies of Eastern Europe and Russia
David Crowe draws from previously untapped East European, Russian, and traditional sources to explore the life, history, and culture of the Gypsies, or Roma, from their entrance into the region in the Middle Ages until the present.
From Library Journal
Crowe, a historian and scholar who has previously edited a collection of conference papers on this topic, places the Gypsy experience within the context of the development of six nations-Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Russia, and Yugoslavia. Crowe has extensively documented his study, relying upon standard histories, documents, and recently identified sources from the region in many languages. He seeks to present both the contribution of the Gypsies to each nation examined as well as the prejudice they experienced there. He makes the point that until Gypsies are treated more fairly, mistrust between them and other citizens will continue to block their integration into national life. This useful work has a place in regional and larger collections.
Rena Fowler, Humboldt State Univ., Arcata, Cal.
Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.
- Phonology In Generative Grammar (Blackwell Textbooks In Linguistics, No. 7)
- Thursdays With The Crown (Tuesdays At The Castle)
- Piano Workbook: A Complete Course In Technique And Performance
- Classical Sociological Theory (B&B Sociology)
- Adventures In The Human Spirit (2nd Edition)
- Cancel Your Own Goddam Subscription: Notes And Asides From National Review
- Behavioral Support (Teachers Guides To Inclusive Practices)
- No Sweat Public Speaking!
- Lollipop Tree Stationery Set (Boxed Stationery)
- The World From 1450 To 1700 (New Oxford World History)
- Zelda And Ivy: Keeping Secrets: Candlewick Sparks
- Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out And Fitting In Around The World
- Presbyterian Beliefs: A Brief Introduction
- Beginning DirectX 10 Game Programming
- Voices From The Second Republic Of South Vietnam (1967–1975) (Studies On Southeast Asia Series)
- Randy Kintz's FANTAZIES: AIR
- The Education Of A WASP (Wisconsin Studies In American Autobiography)
- Memoirs Of A Polar Bear
- On Target: Spanish For Health Care Providers
- Composing A Community: A History Of Writing Across The Curriculum