Truevine: Two Brothers, A Kidnapping, And A Mother's Quest: A True Story Of The Jim Crow South
Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother's Quest: A True Story of the Jim Crow South
The true story of two African-American brothers who were kidnapped and displayed as circus freaks, and whose mother endured a 28-year struggle to get them back.
The year was 1899 and the place a sweltering tobacco farm in the Jim Crow South town of Truevine, Virginia. George and Willie Muse were two little boys born to a sharecropper family. One day a white man offered them a piece of candy, setting off events that would take them around the world and change their lives forever.
Captured into the circus, the Muse brothers performed for royalty at Buckingham Palace and headlined over a dozen sold-out shows at New York's Madison Square Garden. They were global superstars in a pre-broadcast era. But the very root of their success was in the color of their skin and in the outrageous caricatures they were forced to assume: supposed cannibals, sheep-headed freaks, even "Ambassadors from Mars." Back home, their mother never accepted that they were "gone" and spent 28 years trying to get them back.
Through hundreds of interviews and...
- Advanced CORBA® Programming With C++
- Basic Airbrush Painting Techniques: A Practical Guide To Creative Airbrushing
- Elliptic Partial Differential Equations Of Second Order
- El Bailarín Y La Danza: Conversaciones De Merce Cunningham Con Jacqueline Lesschaeve (Sobre Danza) (Spanish Edition)
- The Lady From Dublin
- Genealogia De Antônio Paes De Barros: Totó Paes: O Governador De Mato Grosso (Portuguese Edition)
- The Poet Edgar Allan Poe: Alien Angel
- The Chicago Guide To Communicating Science (Chicago Guides To Writing, Editing, And Publishing)
- Our Favorite Recipes For A Crowd
- Experiencing Choral Music:Intermediate Mixed Voices, Teacher's Wraparound Edition
- Urban Blues (Phoenix Books)
- Whole Child, Whole School: Applying Theory To Practice In A Community School
- Extending The Linear Model With R: Generalized Linear, Mixed Effects And Nonparametric Regression Models (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts In Statistical Science)
- Writing For Magazines: A Beginner's Guide
- The Nutcracker: The Story Of The New York City Ballet's Production Told In Pictures
- How Not To Become A Crotchety Old Man
- Mindware: An Introduction To The Philosophy Of Cognitive Science
- The Changing Face Of Globalization
- Writing Clearly: Grammar For Editing, 3rd Edition
- Horse Vet - Chronicles Of A Mobile Veterinarian