Veterinary Anesthesia And Analgesia
Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
This practical resource is a concise guide designed to prepare veterinary technicians to administer anesthesia in animals. It discusses essential topics such as preanesthetic preparation of the patient, induction procedures, monitoring animals' vital signs during the anesthetic period, and postoperative care. The operation of anesthetic machines and breathing circuits are described in detail, as well as: the actions and side effects of anesthetic agents; the physiology of respiration, heart rate, and blood pressure; emergency response; and specialized techniques such as local anesthesia, postoperative analgesia, and the use of muscle-paralyzing agents and ventilators. In addition to canine and feline anesthesia, this edition has added information on anesthesia of rodents, rabbits, and other animals used in research, plus a new section on anesthesia of cattle, horses, small ruminants and pigs.
- This is the only book on veterinary anesthesia written explicitly for technicians, providing detailed, essential information that technicians must know.
- Concepts are presented in a clear, readable, well-organized format with key points, learning objectives, and review questions.
- Health and Safety issues surrounding anesthesia are discussed and safety procedures are outlined, as required by OSHA.
- Emphasis is placed on appropriate response to emergencies, and provisions of the effective pain control.
- Effective learning features such...