Teaching Middle School Writers: What Every English Teacher Needs To Know
Teaching Middle School Writers: What Every English Teacher Needs to Know
"My whole goal with this book was to come at teaching writing from the angle that matters most: students' perspective. They taught me what I needed to know to make this book live up to their passion for writing." Laura Robb
Adolescents have robust and rewarding writing lives outside of school that involve journals, emails, text messages, blogs, and an astounding array of genres. Unlike their personal reading lives that teachers frequently tap into, their personal writings typically exist under the curricular radar-that is until now.
While grounded in the common schedule constraints and curriculum demands of middle school, Laura Robb's Teaching Middle School Writers offers teachers lessons and routines that are uncommonly attuned to adolescents' developmental and social needs. As she taps into the energy and enthusiasm of adolescents' personal writing lives, Laura presents:
- writing plans that support first drafts
- strategies for crafting leads that grab and endings that satisfy
- grammar lessons that address writing conventions
- editing lessons that have students revise their writing before the teacher reads it
- guidelines for grading and responding to student work.
Straight-from-the-classroom writing samples and videos give...