The Butcher Boy
The Butcher Boy
"When I was a young lad twenty or thirty or forty years ago I lived in a small town where they were all after me on account of what I done on Mrs. Nugent."
Thus begins Patrick McCabe's shattering novel The Butcher Boy, a powerful and unrelenting journey into the heart of darkness. The bleak, eerie voice belongs to Francie Brady, the "pig boy," the only child of and alcoholic father and a mother driven mad by despair. Growing up in a soul-stifling Irish town, Francie is bright, love-starved, and unhinged, his speech filled with street talk, his heart filled with pain...his actions perfectly monstrous.
Held up for scorn by Mrs. Nugent, a paragon of middle-class values, and dropped by his best friend, Joe, in favor of her mamby-pamby son, Francie finally has a target for his rage--and a focus for his twisted, horrific plan.
Dark, haunting, often screamingly funny, The Butcher Boy chronicles the pig boy's ominous loss of innocence and chilling descent into madness. No writer since James Joyce has had such marvelous control of rhythm and language... and no novel since The Silence Of The Lambs has stunned us with such a macabre, dangerous mind.
- Spiritual, But Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America
- I Am Dandy: The Return Of The Elegant Gentleman
- Tap Dance Trouble (Full House Michelle)
- Forgiving Maximo Rothman
- Different Dances 25th Anniversary Edition
- America And The Challenges Of Religious Diversity
- The True History Of Paradise: A Novel
- AIX 5L Administration
- Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Flash Cards, 1e
- A Jefferson Bible For The Twenty-first Century
- The Velvet Lounge: On Late Chicago Jazz
- Salida, St. Elmo, Mount Shavano (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
- Marijuana Chemistry: Genetics, Processing, Potency
- Colter: The True Story Of The Best Dog I Ever Had
- Baby Animals Coloring Book (Dover Coloring Books)
- Catholic Update Guide To Vatican II (Catholic Update Guides)
- The Body Electric
- Torts 2e (Aspen Casebook)
- Sprawl: A Compact History
- Alfred's Basic Piano Library Hymn Book Complete, Bk 1: For The Later Beginner