The Butcher Boy
The Butcher Boy
"When I was a young lad twenty or thirty or forty years ago I lived in a small town where they were all after me on account of what I done on Mrs. Nugent."
Thus begins Patrick McCabe's shattering novel The Butcher Boy, a powerful and unrelenting journey into the heart of darkness. The bleak, eerie voice belongs to Francie Brady, the "pig boy," the only child of and alcoholic father and a mother driven mad by despair. Growing up in a soul-stifling Irish town, Francie is bright, love-starved, and unhinged, his speech filled with street talk, his heart filled with pain...his actions perfectly monstrous.
Held up for scorn by Mrs. Nugent, a paragon of middle-class values, and dropped by his best friend, Joe, in favor of her mamby-pamby son, Francie finally has a target for his rage--and a focus for his twisted, horrific plan.
Dark, haunting, often screamingly funny, The Butcher Boy chronicles the pig boy's ominous loss of innocence and chilling descent into madness. No writer since James Joyce has had such marvelous control of rhythm and language... and no novel since The Silence Of The Lambs has stunned us with such a macabre, dangerous mind.
- Becoming A Reflective Librarian And Teacher: Strategies For Mindful Academic Practice
- Black Seeds: The Poetry And Reflections Of Tariq Toure
- Tortured Into Fake Confession: The Dishonoring Of Korean War Prisoner Col. Frank H. Schwable, USMC
- Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Play Along, Vol 2: Trombone, Book & DVD-ROM (Alfred's Jazz Play Along Series)
- Full Black: A Thriller (The Scot Harvath Series)
- Baja [Map Pack Bundle] (National Geographic Adventure Map)
- Fashion: Women In World War One
- Triatlón Para Mujeres Como Nosotras (Spanish Edition)
- Calculate With Confidence, 6e (Morris, Calculate With Confidence)
- Haunted Alton: History & Hauntings Of The Riverbend Region
- Brilliant Budgets And Forecasts: Your Practical Guide To Preparing And Presenting Financial Information
- Ian Gillan: The Autobiography Of Deep Purple's Lead Singer
- The Girl In The Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander Novel, Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
- Conformal Field Theory (Graduate Texts In Contemporary Physics)
- Amanda Ross-Ho
- The Empirical Turn In The Philosophy Of Technology (Research In Philosophy And Technology) (Advances In Industrial And Labor Relations)
- Fingerpicking Yuletide: 16 Songs Arranged For Solo Guitar In Standard Notation & Tab
- The Way Of The Cross
- Private Libraries In Renaissance England: A Collection And Catalogue Of Tudor And Early Stuart Book-Lists