The Butcher Boy
The Butcher Boy
"When I was a young lad twenty or thirty or forty years ago I lived in a small town where they were all after me on account of what I done on Mrs. Nugent."
Thus begins Patrick McCabe's shattering novel The Butcher Boy, a powerful and unrelenting journey into the heart of darkness. The bleak, eerie voice belongs to Francie Brady, the "pig boy," the only child of and alcoholic father and a mother driven mad by despair. Growing up in a soul-stifling Irish town, Francie is bright, love-starved, and unhinged, his speech filled with street talk, his heart filled with pain...his actions perfectly monstrous.
Held up for scorn by Mrs. Nugent, a paragon of middle-class values, and dropped by his best friend, Joe, in favor of her mamby-pamby son, Francie finally has a target for his rage--and a focus for his twisted, horrific plan.
Dark, haunting, often screamingly funny, The Butcher Boy chronicles the pig boy's ominous loss of innocence and chilling descent into madness. No writer since James Joyce has had such marvelous control of rhythm and language... and no novel since The Silence Of The Lambs has stunned us with such a macabre, dangerous mind.
- The Reluctant Widow
- The Record Store Of The Mind
- Fashion Designer's Resource Book
- Alfred's Basic Piano Course Top Hits! Solo Book, Level 4 (Alfred's Basic Piano Library)
- My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse About Man's Best Friend (The Oatmeal)
- Foundations Of Christian Faith: An Introduction To The Idea Of Christianity
- From Eternity To Here: The Quest For The Ultimate Theory Of Time
- When Boston Rode The EL (Images Of America)
- IBM SPSS MODELER. Framework And CLEM Languaje
- Grandpa's Ghost Stories
- The Practical Naturalist
- Young Magician: Card Tricks (Young Magician Series)
- Coming Home: Uncovering The Foundations Of Psychological Well-being
- The Tokyo Typedirectors Club Annual 96-97
- Dreamstate: A Conspiracy Theory (The Dreamstate Trilogy) (Volume 2)
- The Physiology Of Vision With Special Reference To Colour Blindness
- Nate El Grande: Â¡Hola! (Big Nate) (Spanish Edition)
- The Bedford Handbook
- Stories From Tagore: - Illustrated
- The Dreadful, Smelly Colonies: The Disgusting Details About Life In Colonial America (Disgusting History)