Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey Into Seeing In Three Dimensions
Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey Into Seeing in Three Dimensions
When neuroscientist Susan Barry was fifty years old, she took an unforgettable trip to Manhattan. As she emerged from the dim light of the subway into the sunshine, she saw a view of the city that she had witnessed many times in the past but now saw in an astonishingly new way. Skyscrapers on street corners appeared to loom out toward her like the bows of giant ships. Tree branches projected upward and outward, enclosing and commanding palpable volumes of space. Leaves created intricate mosaics in 3D. With each glance, she experienced the deliriously novel sense of immersion in a three dimensional world.
Barry had been cross-eyed and stereoblind since early infancy. After half a century of perceiving her surroundings as flat and compressed, on that day she was seeing Manhattan in stereo depth for first time in her life. As a neuroscientist, she understood just how extraordinary this transformation was, not only for herself but for the scientific understanding of the human brain. Scientists have long believed that the brain is malleable only during a “critical period” in early childhood. According to this theory, Barry’s brain had organized itself...
- Women In Clothes
- CUHK Series: Deng Xiaoping And The Transformation Of China(simplified Chinese) (Chinese Edition)
- Referentiality And The Films Of Woody Allen
- Contemporary Debates In Bioethics
- Zen Spirit (171073)
- Streets Of Laredo
- Industrial Crops And Uses
- Connect Access Card For The Lively Art
- Hospitals: What They Are And How They Work (Griffin, Hospitals)
- Commerce And Coalitions: How Trade Affects Domestic Political Alignments
- Mud Season: How One Woman's Dream Of Moving To Vermont, Raising Children, Chickens And Sheep, And Running The Old Country Store Pretty Much Led To One Calamity After Another
- The Tough Guide To Fantasyland: The Essential Guide To Fantasy Travel
- Men Of Mark; A Gallery Of Contemporary Portraits Of Men Distinguished In The Senate, The Church, In Science, Literature And Art, The Army, Navy, Law Medicine Etc, Fifth Series.
- Tender Warrior: Every Man's Purpose, Every Woman's Dream, Every Child's Hope
- Late Quaternary Vegetation Of The Near East (Tuebinger Atlas Des Vorderen Orients (Tavo))
- House Beautiful Kitchens: Creating A Beautiful Kitchen Of Your Own
- A God In Ruins: A Novel (Todd Family)
- The Cinematic Misadventures Of Ed Wood
- Obsesion Y Venganza (Books4pocket Romantica) (Spanish Edition)
- Handbook Of Social Choice And Welfare, Volume 19 (Handbooks In Economics)