Language And Myth
Language and Myth
In this important study Ernst Cassirer analyzes the non-rational thought processes that go to make up culture. He demonstrates that beneath both language and myth there lies an unconscious "grammar" of experience, whose categories and canons are not those of logical thought. He shows that this prelogical "logic" is not merely an undeveloped state of rationality, but something basically different, and that this archaic mode of thought still has enormous power over even our most rigorous thought, in language, poetry and myth.
The author analyzes brilliantly such seemingly diverse (yet related) phenomena as the metaphysics of the Bhagavat Gita, the Melanesian concept of Mana, the Naturphilosophie of Schelling, modern poetry, Ancient Egyptian religion, and symbolic logic. He covers a vast range of material that is all too often neglected in studies of human thought.
These six essays are of great interest to the student of philosophy or the philosophy of science, the historian, or the anthropologist. They are also remarkably timely for students of literature, what with the enormous emphasis placed upon "myth" in modern literary speculation. This book is not superficial speculation by a dabbler, but a penetrating study by one of the most profound and sensitive philosophic...
- The 20/20 Diet: Turn Your Weight Loss Vision Into Reality
- A Year In Fashion
- Moleskine Professional Notebook XL Hard, Aster Grey (8051272891386)
- Begin Again: Collected Poems
- John W. Schaum Piano Course: H -- The Grey Book
- Attunement In Expressive Arts Therapy: Toward An Understanding Of Embodied Empathy
- Mental Health Issues In The Criminal Justice System (Monographic Separates From The Journal Of Offender Rehabilitation)
- The Ultimate Beatles Encyclopedia
- Probabilistic Reasoning In Intelligent Systems: Networks Of Plausible Inference (Morgan Kaufmann Series In Representation And Reasoning)
- What If You Had Animal Eyes?
- Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs To Know
- Blues: Drum Play-Along Volume 16 (Hal Leonard Drum Play-Along)
- Centering In Pottery, Poetry, And The Person
- Peer Review And Manuscript Management In Scientific Journals: Guidelines For Good Practice
- John For Everyone, Part 1: Chapters 1-10 (The New Testament For Everyone)
- The Mercy Journals
- Sundiata: Lion King Of Mali
- War Of Words: Language, Politics And 9/11
- Hess Toy Truck Encyclopedia: Gift Giving Edition
- Manonasa: A Spiritual Autobiography