Language And Myth
Language and Myth
In this important study Ernst Cassirer analyzes the non-rational thought processes that go to make up culture. He demonstrates that beneath both language and myth there lies an unconscious "grammar" of experience, whose categories and canons are not those of logical thought. He shows that this prelogical "logic" is not merely an undeveloped state of rationality, but something basically different, and that this archaic mode of thought still has enormous power over even our most rigorous thought, in language, poetry and myth.
The author analyzes brilliantly such seemingly diverse (yet related) phenomena as the metaphysics of the Bhagavat Gita, the Melanesian concept of Mana, the Naturphilosophie of Schelling, modern poetry, Ancient Egyptian religion, and symbolic logic. He covers a vast range of material that is all too often neglected in studies of human thought.
These six essays are of great interest to the student of philosophy or the philosophy of science, the historian, or the anthropologist. They are also remarkably timely for students of literature, what with the enormous emphasis placed upon "myth" in modern literary speculation. This book is not superficial speculation by a dabbler, but a penetrating study by one of the most profound and sensitive philosophic...
- Hegel, Haiti, And Universal History (Pitt Illuminations)
- Dance Of The Jakaranda
- Fieldwork For Human Geography
- The Rest Of Us Just Live Here
- Jan Banning - Down And Out In The South
- The Transcontinental Railroad (True Books)
- Jasmine And Fire: A Bittersweet Year In Beirut
- Because It's Christmas: The Christmas Basket\Merry Ex-Mas
- Rand McNally Folded Map: Central & Eastern Florida Regional Map
- Gospel Fun Songs For Kids
- Julian Schnabel: CVJ: Nicknames Of Maitre D's & Other Excerpts From Life
- Gender, Ethnicity, And The State: Latina And Latino Prison Politics (S U N Y Series In New Directions In Crime And Justice Studies) (Suny Series, New Directions In Crime & Justice Studies)
- The Newspaper Designer's Handbook
- The Teddy Bears' Picnic (with Record)
- The Very Best Of John Williams: Trumpet, Book & CD
- And Then There Were Nuns (League Of Literary Ladies)
- Weathered By Miracles: A History Of Palestine From Bonaparte And Muhammad Ali To Ben-Gurion And The Mufti
- Girocho: A GI's Story Of Bataan And Beyond
- Dissonant Archives: Contemporary Visual Culture And Contested Narratives In The Middle East (Ibraaz And The Visual Culture In The Middle East)