Islamic Designs For Artists And Craftspeople (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Islamic Designs for Artists and Craftspeople (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Based on actual designs dating back as far as the ninth century, the 280 royalty-free designs in this volume constitute a rich and varied archive of authentic Islamic motifs. Embodying Chinese floral patterns, nonfigurative and stylized motifs from Central Asia, and a wealth of decorative calligraphic and geometric designs developed by Muslim artists, these illustrations include a wide variety of geometrics, florals, foliates, and animal and human figures. (Although excluded from public, political, and religious buildings because of religious restrictions, depiction of the human figure was tolerated in private dwellings such as harems and baths.)
Carefully researched and beautifully rendered from book illustrations, pottery, metalwork, carvings, and other sources, the patterns come in a splendid variety of imaginative motifs: leaf scrolls, intertwining tendrils, repeating bands, combinations of geometrical shapes and flowing scrolls, bold calligraphic inscriptions, interlacing ribbons, and much more — all set within circular, rectangular, and hexagonal frames, ten-pointed star grids, borders, and many other shapes. Dozens of plates show various stages in design construction, revealing how intricate and complicated-looking patterns are built on simple geometric principles and traditional patterns.
Originally published under the auspices of the British Museum, Islamic Designs for...
- MyEconLab With Pearson EText -- Access Card -- For Economics Today
- 12-Bar Blues Riffs: 25 Classic Patterns Arranged For Guitar In Standard Notation And Tab (Riff Notes) Bk/Online Audio
- The Name Of The Game Is A Kidnapping
- Woodworking For Wildlife: Homes For Birds And Animals
- P-i-l-a-t-e-s Instructor Manual Wunda Chair Levels 3 - 5
- Images From The Arsenal Of Democracy (Painted Turtle)
- Proofs Of A Conspiracy: Against All The Religions And Governments Of Europe, Carried On In The Secret Meetings Of Freemasons, Illuminati, And Reading Societies.
- Space Invaders: How Robotic Spacecraft Explore The Solar System
- HBR Guide To Dealing With Conflict (HBR Guide Series)
- Debating Sex And Gender (Fundamentals Of Philosophy Series)
- A Short History Of The Normans (I.B.Tauris Short Histories)
- Night: A Novel
- Saga, Vol. 3
- Jesus: A Biography From A Believer.
- Fundamentals Of Voice And Articulation With CD-ROM
- The History Of The English Language: A Source Book, 2nd Edition
- SPSS For Psychologists: Fifth Edition
- Iconic Washington D.C. Coloring Book: 24 Sights To Send And Frame (Iconic Coloring Books)
- Statistics For Bioinformatics: Methods For Multiple Sequence Alignment