Everyday Fashions Of The Forties As Pictured In Sears Catalogs (Dover Fashion And Costumes)
Everyday Fashions of the Forties As Pictured in Sears Catalogs (Dover Fashion and Costumes)
Few publications illustrate so comprehensively what American men, women, and children wore in the 1940s than the Sears catalogs of those years, when the company's fashions typified the tastes of the American mainstream. This book is a compilation of 122 fully illustrated and captioned pages selected and reproduced from rare copies of Sears catalogs of the World War II era.
Over 120 large-format pages have been carefully reprinted on high-quality glossy stock. They reveal in sharp detail the broad range of clothing fashions available during a period when wartime gasoline rationing made mail-order shopping reach new heights of popularity.
Hundreds of accurately detailed drawings depict articles of clothing and personal accessories, including hats, overcoats, shoes, dresses, sportswear, undergarments, neckties, and more. Styles for children range from play clothes to "Sunday best." Men's clothing reflects the conservativism in male fashions during the period. Women's wear ranges from slacks, newly popular with women in the workforce, to dresses with plenty of "Oomph."
Here is a richly revealing document that historians of costume and readers interested in fashion, social history, and Americana will find endlessly fascinating. JoAnne Olian, curator of the Costume...
- 1001 Ideas For Trimwork : The Ultimate Source Book For Decorating With Trim & Molding (English And English Edition)
- Making David Into Goliath: How The World Turned Against Israel
- My Mother Was A Freedom Fighter
- The Hungarian Cookbook
- The Devil's Butcher Shop: The New Mexico Prison Uprising
- Sustainable Transportation: Problems And Solutions
- The Last Pirate: A Father, His Son, And The Golden Age Of Marijuana
- Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul On Love & Friendship
- Computers And Games: 8th International Conference, CG 2013, Yokohama, Japan, August 13-15, 2013, Revised Selected Papers (Lecture Notes In Computer Science)
- How To Write Science Fiction And Fantasy (Genre Writing)
- Early Dominicans: Selected Writings (Classics Of Western Spirituality (Paperback))
- ¡Gol! 33. Los Once Campeones
- Dance And The Hollywood Latina: Race, Sex, And Stardom (Latinidad: Transnational Cultures In The United States)
- Case Studies Through The Health Care Continuum: A Workbook For The Occupational Therapy Student
- The Standard UAS Operator Logbook: The Standard Pilot Logbooks Series (#ASA-SP-UAS)
- The Mountain Men: The Dramatic History And Lore Of The First Frontiersmen
- Geology: Rocks And Minerals (Experiences In Science)
- The End Of Marketing As We Know It
- Songwriting And The Guitar Book (String Letter Publishing) (Acoustic Guitar) (Acoustic Guitar Guides)
- Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy Mysteries)