Moroccan Silk Designs In Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Moroccan Silk Designs in Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Gathered from a rare French portfolio, here are 59 exquisite, royalty-free motifs — mainly florals and foliates — incorporating Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Far Eastern, and traditional Moroccan motifs.
Fès (Fez), one of the oldest and most important cities in Morocco, has long been a center for the practice of Islamic crafts, including brasswork, leatherwork, pottery, textiles, and embroidery. Among the most admired textiles produced in the city are the ornamental belts women wear under their caftans on festive occasions. Originally the designs were simple and the colors somber, but over the years the complexity of design increased and the colors became more flamboyant. One startling effect is the sudden change of coloration of a pattern in the same belt, as shown in several of the plates included here. In some instances, there is a sudden discontinuity of pattern within one woven fabric; in others, two patterns from two fabrics sewn together.
At the center of commerce in the Near East, Fès was subject to many influences, some of which — including Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Rhodian, and Far Eastern textiles — are reflected in these designs. Two motifs are typically Moroccan: a combination of...
- Spanish For Attorneys And Paralegals With Audio CDs
- I Am A Strange Loop
- Conservation: Linking Ecology, Economics, And Culture
- Good Dog. Stay.
- Human Sexuality: From Cells To Society
- Human Resource Management (12th Edition)
- Social Conflict: Escalation, Stalemate, And Settlement (3rd Edition)
- California Feuds: Vengence, Vendettas & Violence On The Old West Coast
- The Afghan Campaign: A Novel
- Joel Greene: New Mexico Modernist (New Mexico Magazine Artist Series)
- Strategic Thinking For Advertising Creatives
- Letter From China
- Air Fryer Cookbook: In The Kitchen
- The Last Back Mecca: Hip Hop : A Black Cultural Awareness Phenomena And It's African-American Community
- The Windberg Technique Of Oil Painting
- Economic And Financial Modeling With Mathematica®
- Woof: A Bowser And Birdie Novel
- EGods: Faith Versus Fantasy In Computer Gaming
- Christian Studies III, Teacher Manual
- Effective Perl Programming: Ways To Write Better, More Idiomatic Perl (2nd Edition) (Effective Software Development Series)