Moroccan Silk Designs In Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Moroccan Silk Designs in Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Gathered from a rare French portfolio, here are 59 exquisite, royalty-free motifs — mainly florals and foliates — incorporating Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Far Eastern, and traditional Moroccan motifs.
Fès (Fez), one of the oldest and most important cities in Morocco, has long been a center for the practice of Islamic crafts, including brasswork, leatherwork, pottery, textiles, and embroidery. Among the most admired textiles produced in the city are the ornamental belts women wear under their caftans on festive occasions. Originally the designs were simple and the colors somber, but over the years the complexity of design increased and the colors became more flamboyant. One startling effect is the sudden change of coloration of a pattern in the same belt, as shown in several of the plates included here. In some instances, there is a sudden discontinuity of pattern within one woven fabric; in others, two patterns from two fabrics sewn together.
At the center of commerce in the Near East, Fès was subject to many influences, some of which — including Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Rhodian, and Far Eastern textiles — are reflected in these designs. Two motifs are typically Moroccan: a combination of...
- Threading My Prayer Rug: One Woman's Journey From Pakistani Muslim To American Muslim
- The New HR Analytics: Predicting The Economic Value Of Your Company's Human Capital Investments
- Metaprogramming Elixir: Write Less Code, Get More Done (and Have Fun!)
- Advanced Accounting (13th Edition)
- The Rise Of Performance Studies: Rethinking Richard Schechner's Broad Spectrum (Studies In International Performance)
- Baltimore In The Civil War: The Pratt Street Riot And A City Occupied (Civil War Series)
- Ethics And Spirituality At Work: Hopes And Pitfalls Of The Search For Meaning In Organizations
- Shadow Reaper (Shadow Riders Novel, A)
- Punks Git Cut!
- How To Grow An Addict: A Novel
- The Mercy Of The Sky: The Story Of A Tornado
- A President In The Family: Thomas Jefferson, Sally Hemings, And Thomas Woodson
- White Fur Flying
- Have A New Kid By Friday Participant's Guide: How To Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character In 5 Days (A Six-Session Study)
- The Letters Of Ernest Hemingway: Volume 3, 1926-1929 (The Cambridge Edition Of The Letters Of Ernest Hemingway)
- The Nineteenth-Century German Lied
- John Sloan's Oil Paintings: A Catalogue Raisonne, Part Two (Pt. 2)
- ACSM's Sports Medicine: A Comprehensive Review
- Co-Creating Change: Effective Dynamic Therapy Techniques
- COMO SOBREVIVIR AL FIN DEL MUNDO TAL COMO LO CONOCEMOS. Tácticas, Técnicas Y Recursos (Spanish Edition)