Moroccan Silk Designs In Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Moroccan Silk Designs in Full Color (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Gathered from a rare French portfolio, here are 59 exquisite, royalty-free motifs — mainly florals and foliates — incorporating Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Far Eastern, and traditional Moroccan motifs.
Fès (Fez), one of the oldest and most important cities in Morocco, has long been a center for the practice of Islamic crafts, including brasswork, leatherwork, pottery, textiles, and embroidery. Among the most admired textiles produced in the city are the ornamental belts women wear under their caftans on festive occasions. Originally the designs were simple and the colors somber, but over the years the complexity of design increased and the colors became more flamboyant. One startling effect is the sudden change of coloration of a pattern in the same belt, as shown in several of the plates included here. In some instances, there is a sudden discontinuity of pattern within one woven fabric; in others, two patterns from two fabrics sewn together.
At the center of commerce in the Near East, Fès was subject to many influences, some of which — including Romanesque, Byzantine, Persian, Rhodian, and Far Eastern textiles — are reflected in these designs. Two motifs are typically Moroccan: a combination of...
- The Four And The One: In Praise Of String Quartets
- Food Myths Debunked: Why Our Food Is Safe
- Learning From The World: New Ideas To Redevelop America
- Tate Modern Artists: Richard Deacon
- Granite Island: A Portrait Of Corsica
- Bureau Of The Centre For The Study Of Surrealism And Its Legacy (Opus Projects S.)
- What Narcissism Means To Me: Poems
- Writing & Rhetoric Book 2: Narrative I - Student Edition - A One Semester Course For Grades 3 Or 4 And Up
- Field Expedient SDR: Introduction To Software Defined Radio (black And White Version) (Volume 1)
- No Shortage Of Good Days (John Gierach's Fly-fishing Library)
- Everyone's An Author With Readings (Second Edition)
- The Vietnam War (1956-1975) (Defining Documents In American History)
- The Book Of Honor : The Secret Lives And Deaths Of CIA Operatives
- Health Literacy In Primary Care: A Clinician's Guide
- Computers And Art: Second Edition
- Beautiful Music For Two String Instruments: Two Violins, Vol. 4
- Stevie Ray Vaughan Style Guitar Book With 2 DVDs
- Mad, Bad And Dangerous: The Book Of Drummers' Tales
- Rome's Christian Empress: Galla Placidia Rules At The Twilight Of The Empire