Calculus Of Variations (Dover Books On Mathematics)
Calculus of Variations (Dover Books on Mathematics)
Based on a series of lectures given by I. M. Gelfand at Moscow State University, this book actually goes considerably beyond the material presented in the lectures. The aim is to give a treatment of the elements of the calculus of variations in a form both easily understandable and sufficiently modern. Considerable attention is devoted to physical applications of variational methods, e.g., canonical equations, variational principles of mechanics, and conservation laws.
The reader who merely wishes to become familiar with the most basic concepts and methods of the calculus of variations need only study the first chapter. Students wishing a more extensive treatment, however, will find the first six chapters comprise a complete university-level course in the subject, including the theory of fields and sufficient conditions for weak and strong extrema. Chapter 7 considers the application of variational methods to the study of systems with infinite degrees of freedom, and Chapter 8 deals with direct methods in the calculus of variations. The problems following each chapter were made specially for this English-language edition, and many of them comment further on corresponding parts of the text. Two appendices and suggestions for supplementary reading round out...
- In All Things: Everyday Prayers Of Jesuit High School Students
- Mirabelle And The Bouncy Red Ball
- NCLEX-PN Content Review Guide (Kaplan Test Prep)
- Simply Anna (Regency Romance)
- Home ― So Different, So Appealing
- Essentials Of Skeletal Radiology (2 Vol. Set)
- Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
- Extinction Age (The Extinction Cycle Book 3)
- The Big Fat Book Of Watercolor Basics
- Mathematical Proofs: A Transition To Advanced Mathematics (3rd Edition) (Featured Titles For Transition To Advanced Mathematics)
- The Art Of Close-Up Magic
- The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management For Photographers (O'Reilly Digital Studio)
- How People Change: Relationships And Neuroplasticity In Psychotherapy (Norton Series On Interpersonal Neurobiology)
- YouTube Channels For Dummies
- Clark County (Images Of America)
- The Life And Music Of Pierre Rode, Containing An Account Of Rode, French Violinist: (translation Of Notice Sur Rode, Violiniste Francais, 1874)
- Michael Jackson FAQ: All That's Left To Know About The King Of Pop
- Notebook : Elephant Mandala: Notebook Journal Diary, 120 Lined Pages, 7" X 10"
- Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols For Best Practice: Fourth Edition (SPRINGER SERIES ON GERIATRIC NURSING)