The Spiritual In Twentieth-Century Art (Dover Fine Art, History Of Art)
The Spiritual in Twentieth-Century Art (Dover Fine Art, History of Art)
"An invaluable reminder of the purposes and possibilities of modern art. Exemplary." — Kirkus Reviews
In 1911, modernist painter Wassily Kandinsky published Concerning the Spiritual in Art, a treatise on the meaning of modern art and a challenge to his contemporaries to free their work from traditional bonds. Eight decades later, the distinguished scholar Roger Lipsey examined the response to Kandinsky's call with this exploration of the spiritual content of twentieth-century art.
A compelling, well-illustrated history of art and ideas, this book focuses on the works of such renowned painters as Mondrian, Klee, Picasso, Braque, Duchamp, Matisse, and Brancusi. Lipsey interprets each creation within the context of its conception, examining the movements that inspired each work, from Theosophy and Buddhism to Jungian thought and humanistic psychology. Letters, diaries, and interviews provide insights into the artists' views of spirituality and the ways in which they approached their work as a form of meditation. The eloquent and knowledgeable commentary is enhanced by 121 meticulously reproduced black-and-white illustrations.
From the Back Cover
"An invaluable reminder of the purposes and possibilities of modern art. Exemplary."—Kirkus Reviews
In 1911, modernist painter Wassily Kandinsky published...
- Daddy Kisses
- Kardashian Konfidential: New! Inside Kim's Wedding With Never-Seen Pix, Plus A New Chapter!
- Contemporary & Classic Arguments: A Portable Anthology
- Like A Moth To A Flame: The Jim Reeves Story
- The Christmas Collection: 53 Songs For Classical Singers - Low Voice (The Vocal Library Series)
- The Inspector: Your Guide To The ISTJ Personality Type
- Yeltsin: A Life
- Scale And Geographic Inquiry: Nature, Society, And Method
- Carta's Israel Super Touring Map
- A Galway Gentleman In The Age Of Improvement: Robert French Of Monivea 1716-76 (Maynooth Studies In Irish Local History)
- Mic It!: Microphones, Microphone Techniques, And Their Impact On The Final Mix
- Sextrology: The Astrology Of Sex And The Sexes
- High Crimes And Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton
- Photography Business: 2 Manuscripts - “Making Money In The Music Business As A Photographer” And “How To Make Money And Grow Your Business With Portrait Parties”
- Van Gogh: Un Viaje Con Pinceladas De Luz (Para Ninos) Contiene Pegatinas
- Nora Roberts CD Collection 2: Hidden Riches, True Betrayals, Homeport, The Reef
- The Creative Community College: Leading Change Through Innovation
- Moon Take A Hike Minneapolis And St. Paul: Hikes Within Two Hours Of The Twin Cities (Moon Outdoors)
- IIFYM: If It Fits Your Macros: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide
- The Tupac Shakur Collection: Piano/Vocal/Chords