Mawson: A Life
Mawson: A Life
A hero of the polar exploration age, Sir Douglas Mawson is profiled in this biography, which recounts his Antarctic expeditions of 1911–1914 and 1929–1931, which resulted in Australia claiming 40 percent of the sixth continent. The personal letters and professional correspondences included reveal Mawson’s relationships with influential friends and rivals. Recounted are such adventures as Mawson's confrontation of a delusional explorer in Antarctica who believed that he was Jesus Christ, his trip on an advanced monoplane, and his inspections of English war factories for chemical weapons.
“In this definitive biography . . . Ayres reveals a man whose passions extended far beyond the frozen continent that made him famous.” —Sunday Times
“By unearthing a massive amount of new material, using thousands of previously unpublished personal letters and expeditioners' diary notes, Ayres manages to chip away the ice to reveal the man inside the well-known image of a knight in woolen armor.” —The Age
About the Author
Philip Ayres is an associate professor of English literature at Monash University and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society. He is the author of Malcolm Fraser: A Biography, Classical Culture, and...
- Business Continuity Management System: A Complete Guide To Implementing ISO 22301
- An Introduction To Support Vector Machines And Other Kernel-based Learning Methods
- Food Truck Owner's Handbook - The Entrepreneur's Guide To Street Food Success (The Food Truck Startup) (Volume 1)
- Pioneers Of The Blues Revival (Music In American Life)
- Mean Reversion Trading Systems
- War And Space: Selected Short Stories Of Lester Del Rey. Volume 1
- Gettysburg Religion: Refinement, Diversity, And Race In The Antebellum And Civil War Border North (The North's Civil War (FUP))
- Bobby Sands: Freedom Fighter
- Bad Fame - Poems
- Magic School Bus Presents: The Rainforest: A Nonfiction Companion To The Original Magic School Bus Series
- L Is For Liberty (Reading Railroad)
- Draw 50 People: The Step-by-Step Way To Draw Cavemen, Queens, Aztecs, Vikings, Clowns, Minutemen, And Many More...
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
- Luftwaffe War Diary: Pilots & Aces: Uniforms & Equipment
- The Low Light Fight -Shooting, Tactics, Combatives: How To Win In A Low-light Environment.
- Watching TV: Eight Decades Of American Television, Third Edition (Television And Popular Culture)
- The Poison Patriarch: How The Betrayals Of Joseph P. Kennedy Caused The Assassination Of JFK
- The Other Side
- My Symphonic Band Journal 2: An Inspiring All-purpose Booklet To Write In. (My Journal) (Volume 5)
- Watertown (MA) (Images Of America)