Cecil B. DeMille: The Art Of The Hollywood Epic
Cecil B. DeMille: The Art of the Hollywood Epic
Colossal. Stupendous. Epic. These adjectives, used by movie companies to hawk their wares, became clichés long ago. When used to describe the films of one director, they are accurate. More than any filmmaker in the history of the medium, Cecil B. DeMille mastered the art of the spectacle. In the process, he became a filmland founder. One hundred years ago, he made the first feature film ever shot in Hollywood and went on to become the most commercially successful producer-director in history.
DeMille told his cinematic tales with painterly, extravagant images. The parting of the Red Sea in The Ten Commandments was only one of these. There were train wrecks (The Greatest Show on Earth); orgies (Manslaughter); battles (The Buccaneer); Ancient Rome (The Sign of the Cross); Ancient Egypt (Cleopatra); and the Holy Land (The Crusades). The best of these images are showcased here, in Cecil B. DeMille: The Art of the Hollywood Epic.
This lavish volume opens the King Tut's tomb of cinematic treasures that is the Cecil B. DeMille Archives, presenting storyboard art, concept paintings, and an array of photographic imagery. Historian Mark A. Vieira writes an illuminating text to accompany...
- Prayers To Sophia: A Companion To "The Star In My Heart"
- Fleetwood Mac On Fleetwood Mac: Interviews And Encounters (Musicians In Their Own Words)
- The Gates Of The Alamo
- Business Object Design And Implementation: OOPSLA'95 Workshop Proceedings
- The Religious Beliefs Of America's Founders: Reason, Revelation, And Revolution (American Political Thought (University Press Of Kansas))
- Journeys Towards Progress: Essays Of A Geographer On Development And Change In Oceania
- Snakes Of North Carolina, South Carolina & Georgia: A Guide To Common & Notable Species (Quick Reference Guides)
- Public-Private Partnerships And The Law: Regulation, Institutions And Community
- Dot-to-Dot Cute Cats: 64 Calming Cat Dot-to-dots To Create, Colour And Relax (Adult Colouring/Activity)
- 25 Super Cool Math Board Games: Easy-to-Play Reproducible Games That Teach Essential Math Skills, Grades 3-6
- Prophets Of Eternal Fjord: A Novel
- Goldie Socks And The Three Libearians
- Boundless Love
- Brecht, Music And Culture: Hanns Eisler In Conversation With Hans Bunge
- Ventriloquism For Fun And Profit
- How To Keep An Alien: A Story About Falling In Love And Proving It To The Government (Modern Plays)
- Givenness & Hermeneutics (Pere Marquette Theology Lecture)
- Language, Globalization And The Making Of A Tanzanian Beauty Queen (Encounters)
- Lecturas Comprensivas, 7
- Transparent Watercolor Wheel: A Logical And Easy-to-use System For Taking The Guesswork Out Of Mixing Colours