The American Indian Occupation Of Alcatraz Island: Red Power And Self-Determination
The American Indian Occupation of Alcatraz Island: Red Power and Self-Determination
The occupation of Alcatraz Island by American Indians from November 20, 1969, through June 11, 1971, focused the attention of the world on Native Americans and helped develop pan-Indian activism. In this detailed examination of the takeover, Troy R. Johnson tells the story of those who organized the occupation and those who participated, some by living on the island and others by soliciting donations of money, food, water, clothing, and other necessities.
Johnson documents the unrest in the Bay Area urban Indian population that helped spur the takeover and draws on interviews with those involved to describe everyday life on Alcatraz during the nineteen-month occupation. In describing the federal government’s reactions as Americans rallied in support of the Indians, he turns to federal government archives and Nixon administration files. The book is a must-read for historians and others interested in the civil rights era, Native American history, and contemporary American Indian issues.
“The book provides illuminating, behind-the-scenes looks at Alcatraz’s occupiers, the dreams that united them and realities that splintered them; the reaction of the Bay Area Native American community; and the White House efforts to...
- Sky Color (Creatrilogy)
- The Crippler: Cage Fighting And My Life On The Edge
- Captain Underpants And The Wrath Of The Wicked Wedgie Women (Captain Underpants #5)
- Surfing: 1778-Today (English)
- Mandarin Chinese English Bilingual Visual Dictionary (DK Visual Dictionaries)
- The Only Guitar Book You'll Ever Need: From Tuning Your Instrument And Learning Chords To Reading Music And Writing Songs, Everything You Need To Play Like The Best
- The Dish On Food And Farming In Colonial America (Life In The American Colonies)
- The Witch's Mirror: The Craft, Lore & Magick Of The Looking Glass (The Witch's Tools Series)
- Ingmar Bergman Revisited: Performance, Cinema, And The Arts
- Metalogic: An Introduction To The Metatheory Of Standard First Order Logic
- Drawing For Kids With Cursive Letters In Easy Steps ABC: Cartooning For Kids And Learning How To Draw With The Cursive Alphabet (Volume 4)
- Presumed Guilty
- Sketch Journal: Majestic 6x9: Pages Are Lined On The Bottom Third With Blank Space On Top. (Patterns & Designs)
- Assessment In The Classroom (Practical Strategies Series In Gifted Education)
- Historical Racialized Toys In The United States (Guides To Historical Artifacts)
- To The Bright Edge Of The World: A Novel
- Superman On Film, Television, Radio And Broadway
- Criminal Procedure (Hornbook)