The American Indian Occupation Of Alcatraz Island: Red Power And Self-Determination
The American Indian Occupation of Alcatraz Island: Red Power and Self-Determination
The occupation of Alcatraz Island by American Indians from November 20, 1969, through June 11, 1971, focused the attention of the world on Native Americans and helped develop pan-Indian activism. In this detailed examination of the takeover, Troy R. Johnson tells the story of those who organized the occupation and those who participated, some by living on the island and others by soliciting donations of money, food, water, clothing, and other necessities.
Johnson documents the unrest in the Bay Area urban Indian population that helped spur the takeover and draws on interviews with those involved to describe everyday life on Alcatraz during the nineteen-month occupation. In describing the federal government’s reactions as Americans rallied in support of the Indians, he turns to federal government archives and Nixon administration files. The book is a must-read for historians and others interested in the civil rights era, Native American history, and contemporary American Indian issues.
“The book provides illuminating, behind-the-scenes looks at Alcatraz’s occupiers, the dreams that united them and realities that splintered them; the reaction of the Bay Area Native American community; and the White House efforts to...
- Victimas De La Moda (Spanish Edition)
- Modernity Disavowed: Haiti And The Cultures Of Slavery In The Age Of Revolution (John Hope Franklin Center Books)
- Moleskine Inspiration And Process In Architecture - Cino Zucchi (Design And Architecture Books)
- Garbancito (Troquelados Clásicos Series) (Spanish Edition)
- Why There Almost Certainly Is A God: Doubting Dawkins
- Celluloid Symphonies: Texts And Contexts In Film Music History
- El Pequeño Leo Da Vinci. Los Piratas Fantasma #3 / The Pirate Ghosts (Little Leo Da Vinci 3) (Spanish Edition)
- The Girl Who Drank The Moon
- Taking Stock: Make Money In Microstock Creating Photos That Sell
- E McKnight Kaufer: Design
- Self-Knowledge: Atmabodha
- The Model Posing Guide For Fashion And Glamour Photography
- Norwegian Verbs And Essentials Of Grammar
- Principles Of Water Treatment
- The I Factor: How Building A Great Relationship With Yourself Is The Key To A Happy, Successful Life
- Interaction Flow Modeling Language: Model-Driven UI Engineering Of Web And Mobile Apps With IFML (The MK/OMG Press)
- Fabian Y El Caos (Spanish Edition)
- Healing The Sick: A Living Classic
- I Fought The Law: Photographs By Olivia Locher Of The Strangest Laws From Each Of The 50 States