Encyclopedia Of The Great Plains
Encyclopedia of the Great Plains
The Great Plains is a vast expanse of grasslands stretching from the Rocky Mountains to the Missouri River and from the Rio Grande to the coniferous forests of Canada--an area more than eighteen hundred miles from north to south and more than five hundred miles from east to west. The Great Plains region includes all or parts of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
The region, once labeled “the Great American Desert,” is now more often called the “heartland,” or, sometimes, “the breadbasket of the world.” Its immense distances, flowing grasslands, sparse population, enveloping horizons, and dominating sky convey a sense of expansiveness, even emptiness or loneliness, a reaction to too much space and one's own meager presence in it.
The Plains region is the home of the Dust Bowl, the massacre at Wounded Knee, the North-West Rebellion, the Tulsa race riot,...
- A Man In The Making: Strategies To Help Your Son Succeed In Life
- Will Tanner: U.S. Deputy Marshal (A Will Tanner Western)
- Introducing Dialogic Pedagogy: Provocations For The Early Years
- Chinese Through Poetry: An Introduction To The Language And Imagery Of Traditional Verse.
- DSM-5 In Action
- Div, Grad, Curl, And All That: An Informal Text On Vector Calculus (Fourth Edition)
- Under The Feet Of Jesus
- Character Animation Crash Course!
- Moleskine Volant Notebook (Set Of 2 ), Large, Plain, Light Violet, Brilliant Violet, Soft Cover (5 X 8.25)
- The Unquiet Dead: A Novel (Rachel Getty And Esa Khattak Novels)
- Anomalistic Psychology (Palgrave Insights In Psychology Series)
- Panda Guides Beijing
- College Korean
- Forgiving What You'll Never Forget
- Eric Carle's ABC (The World Of Eric Carle)
- Pussy Portraits
- You Can Heal Your Heart: Finding Peace After A Breakup, Divorce, Or Death
- The Life You've Always Wanted Leader's Guide: Six Sessions On Spiritual Disciplines For Ordinary People, Leader's Guide (Groupware)
- Divided We Govern: Party Control, Lawmaking, And Investigations, 1946-1990