Chinese Symbolism And Art Motifs: A Comprehensive Handbook On Symbolism In Chinese Art Through The Ages
Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs: A Comprehensive Handbook on Symbolism in Chinese Art through the Ages
This fourth revised edition of Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs, first published in Shanghai in 1941, features an introduction by Dr. Terence Barrow, has been completely reset and now uses the Pinyin pronunciation of Chinese names and words.
The Eight Immortals, the five elements, the dragon and the phoenix, yin and yang—representations of these important cultural symbols are pervasive in Chinese literature, art and architecture. Without an understanding of their significance, much Chinese history, folklore and culture can't be fully appreciated. In this comprehensive handbook, C.A.S. Williams offers concise explanations—and over 400 illustrations—of these essential symbols and motifs. Arranged alphabetically for easy access, the book not only explains essential cultural symbols, accompanied by their Chinese characters, but also contains many articles on Chinese beliefs, customs, arts and crafts, food, agriculture, and medicine. This book has become a standard reference volume for students of China and Chinese culture.
For those who are visiting China, Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs is an indispensable guide to the Middle Kingdom's artistic and architectural wonders. For the general reader, it is a valuable compendium of fascinating sinological lore.
- Disturbed -- The Sickness: Authentic Guitar TAB/Bass TAB
- Launch A Kick-Ass T-Shirt Brand
- Making An Entrance: Theory And Practice For Disabled And Non-Disabled Dancers
- Nanotechnologies In The Conservation Of Cultural Heritage: A Compendium Of Materials And Techniques
- Tales From Facebook
- French Broad And Nolichucky Rivers [Cherokee And Pisgah National Forests] (National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map)
- Introduction To Statistical Pattern Recognition, Second Edition (Computer Science & Scientific Computing)
- Shared Wisdom
- Interactions: Collaboration Skills For School Professionals (6th Edition)
- Friendship And Loss In The Victorian Portrait: "May Sartoris" By Frederic Leighton (Kimbell Masterpiece Series)
- Absolute Beginners: Drums (Book & DVD Edition) (Absolute Beginners)
- The Beauty And The Beast
- Sounds And Society: Themes In The Sociology Of Music (Music And Society MUP)
- Created In God's Image: An Introduction To Feminist Theological Anthropology
- The Complete How To Handbook For Jewish Living: Three Volumes In One
- Managerial Economics & Organizational Architecture
- Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts Seven-Session Complete Resource Kit: Seven Questions To Ask Before---and After---You Marry
- My Weird School Daze 12-Book Box Set: Books 1-12
- Star Wars Poe And The Missing Ship