Chinese Symbolism And Art Motifs: A Comprehensive Handbook On Symbolism In Chinese Art Through The Ages
Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs: A Comprehensive Handbook on Symbolism in Chinese Art through the Ages
This fourth revised edition of Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs, first published in Shanghai in 1941, features an introduction by Dr. Terence Barrow, has been completely reset and now uses the Pinyin pronunciation of Chinese names and words.
The Eight Immortals, the five elements, the dragon and the phoenix, yin and yang—representations of these important cultural symbols are pervasive in Chinese literature, art and architecture. Without an understanding of their significance, much Chinese history, folklore and culture can't be fully appreciated. In this comprehensive handbook, C.A.S. Williams offers concise explanations—and over 400 illustrations—of these essential symbols and motifs. Arranged alphabetically for easy access, the book not only explains essential cultural symbols, accompanied by their Chinese characters, but also contains many articles on Chinese beliefs, customs, arts and crafts, food, agriculture, and medicine. This book has become a standard reference volume for students of China and Chinese culture.
For those who are visiting China, Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs is an indispensable guide to the Middle Kingdom's artistic and architectural wonders. For the general reader, it is a valuable compendium of fascinating sinological lore.
- Microsoft® Excel® 2013 QuickSteps
- Max The Mighty
- Popular Hand Book For Cement And Concrete Users: A Comprehensive And Popular Treatise On The Principles Involved And Methods Employed In The Design And Construction Of Modern Concrete Work
- LIMA (Peru) - The Delaplaine 2017 Long Weekend Guide (Long Weekend Guides)
- Neurobehavioral Disorders Of Childhood: An Evolutionary Perspective
- Beginners Guide To Aerial Silk
- Sexual Politics
- No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account Of The Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden
- God With Us: Rediscovering The Meaning Of Christmas (Reader’s Edition)
- Rome's Mediterranean Empire: Books 41-45 And The Periochae (Oxford World's Classics)
- Point Counter Point (British Literature)
- Equity Asset Valuation Workbook (CFA Institute Investment Series)
- Abstract And Micro Photography: How To Create Your Own Stunning Abstract Art
- Who Is God?: Catholic Perspectives Through The Ages
- The Way Of The Five Elements: 52 Weeks Of Powerful Acupoints For Physical, Emotional, And Spiritual Health
- Spiritual Warfare: Christians, Demonization And Deliverance
- Him We Proclaim: Preaching Christ From All The Scriptures
- TIME The Science Of Happiness: New Discoveries For A More Joyful Life
- Zig Ziglar's Secrets Of Closing The Sale: For Anyone Who Must Get Others To Say Yes!
- ARTE DE LOS FORMULA 1, EL.