The Teeth May Smile But The Heart Does Not Forget: Murder And Memory In Uganda
The Teeth May Smile but the Heart Does Not Forget: Murder and Memory in Uganda
From a new star of American journalism, a riveting murder mystery that reveals the forces roiling today’s Africa
From Rwanda to Sierra Leone, African countries recovering from tyranny and war are facing an impossible dilemma: to overlook past atrocities for the sake of peace or to seek catharsis through tribunals and truth commissions. Uganda chose the path of forgetting: after Idi Amin’s reign was overthrown, the new government opted for amnesty for his henchmen rather than prolonged conflict.
Ugandans tried to bury their history, but reminders of the truth were never far from view. A stray clue to the 1972 disappearance of Eliphaz Laki led his son to a shallow grave—and then to three executioners, among them Amin’s chief of staff. Laki’s discovery resulted in a trial that gave voice to a nation’s past: as lawyers argued, tribes clashed, and Laki pressed for justice, the trial offered Ugandans a promise of the reckoning they had been so long denied.
For four years, Andrew Rice followed the trial, crossing Uganda to investigate Amin’s legacy and the limits of reconciliation. At once a mystery, a historical accounting,...
- Silencing Eve: An Eve Duncan Novel
- Use Your Head: How To Unleash The Power Of Your Mind
- How To Turn Your Poker Playing Into A Business: Knowing What To Deduct To Improve Your Odds With The IRS
- Just In Case
- A Complete Guide To Special Effects Makeup
- Greek Tragedies 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus At Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
- Becoming Grandma: The Joys And Science Of The New Grandparenting
- Design Journal 001: Americas (Graphis Design Journal)
- Plautus: The Darker Comedies. Bacchides, Casina, And Truculentus
- Rio Men
- Chili Dawgs Always Bark At Night
- Tintin - El Templo Del Sol Tapa Dura (Las Aventuras De Tintin) (Spanish Edition)
- The Rhythm Book: Studies In Rhythmic Reading And Principles (Dover Books On Music)
- Dali/Bejart: Danser Gala: L'art Bouffe De Salvador Dali (French Edition)
- Music For Little Mozarts Recital Book, Bk 1: Performance Repertoire To Bring Out The Music In Every Young Child
- Posters Of World War II
- The Gall Bladder Survival Guide: How To Live A Normal Life With A Missing Or Dysfunctional Gall Bladder.
- Ideas For Great Kids' Rooms
- Car Cultures (Materializing Culture)
- Modern Art In Africa, Asia And Latin America: An Introduction To Global Modernisms