The Chippewas Of Lake Superior (The Civilization Of The American Indian Series)
The Chippewas of Lake Superior (The Civilization of the American Indian Series)
This book tells the story of the Chippewa Indians in the regions around Lake Superior-the fabled land of Kitchigami. It tells of their woodland life, the momentous impact of three centuries of European and American societies on their culture, and how the retention of their tribal identity and traditions proved such a source of strength for the Chippewas that the federal government finally abandoned its policy of coercive assimilation of the tribe.
The Chippewas, especially the Lake Superior bands, have been neglected by historians, perhaps because they fought no bloody wars of resistance against the westward-driving white pioneers who overwhelmed them in the nineteenth century. Yet, historically, the Chippewas were one of the most important Indian groups north of Mexico. Their expansive north woods homeland contained valuable resources, forcing them to play important roles in regional enterprises such as the French, British, and American fur trade. Neither exterminated nor removed to the semiarid Great Plains, the Lake Superior bands have remained on their native lands and for the past century have continued to develop their interests in lumbering, fishing, farming, mining, shipping, and tourism.
Now, for the first time in...
- Dishing Up® New Jersey: 150 Recipes From The Garden State
- The Mystery At The Eiffel Tower (Paris, France) (2) (Around The World In 80 Mysteries)
- Ballroom Dance Magazine June 1965 Vol. 6 No. 6
- The Modern Square ((Arkansas State Square Dance Federation))) October, 1986
- CASCARON PROTECTOR EN NIÑOS Y ADULTOS, EL (Spanish Edition)
- Latina Self-Portraits: Interviews With Contemporary Women Writers
- The Best Of Luther Vandross
- William Eggleston: Election Eve
- Cute Flowers: Grayscale Coloring Books For Adults Anti-Stress Art Therapy For Busy People (Adult Coloring Books Series, Grayscale Fantasy Coloring Books)
- Savage (a Jack Sigler Thriller)
- Carving Card-Carrying Critters With Power (Schiffer Military History Book)
- Carol Rama: Antibodies
- INSTRUMENTAL POSTER SERIES - French Horn
- What's In Your Mouth? What's In Your Child's Mouth?
- How To Report Statistics In Medicine: Annotated Guidelines For Authors, Editors, And Reviewers
- Prospero's Son: Life, Books, Love, And Theater
- Recognizing And Rewarding Employees
- Vice Presidents: A Biographical Dictionary (Facts On File Library Of American History)
- Teaching The Standards: How To Blend Common Core State Standards Into Secondary Instruction