The Chippewas Of Lake Superior (The Civilization Of The American Indian Series)
The Chippewas of Lake Superior (The Civilization of the American Indian Series)
This book tells the story of the Chippewa Indians in the regions around Lake Superior-the fabled land of Kitchigami. It tells of their woodland life, the momentous impact of three centuries of European and American societies on their culture, and how the retention of their tribal identity and traditions proved such a source of strength for the Chippewas that the federal government finally abandoned its policy of coercive assimilation of the tribe.
The Chippewas, especially the Lake Superior bands, have been neglected by historians, perhaps because they fought no bloody wars of resistance against the westward-driving white pioneers who overwhelmed them in the nineteenth century. Yet, historically, the Chippewas were one of the most important Indian groups north of Mexico. Their expansive north woods homeland contained valuable resources, forcing them to play important roles in regional enterprises such as the French, British, and American fur trade. Neither exterminated nor removed to the semiarid Great Plains, the Lake Superior bands have remained on their native lands and for the past century have continued to develop their interests in lumbering, fishing, farming, mining, shipping, and tourism.
Now, for the first time in...
- Commentaries On The Laws Of England: A Facsimile Of The First Edition Of 1765-1769, Vol. 1
- Royko In Love: Mike's Letters To Carol
- Edgar Brandt Art Deco Ironwork
- Revival Volume 5: Gathering Of Waters (Revival Tp)
- Reflecting On Critical Incidents In Language Education: 40 Dilemmas For Novice TESOL Professionals
- Explaining 'Unexplained Illnesses': Disease Paradigm For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Fibromyalgia, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, And Gulf War Syndrome
- Norman Granz: The Man Who Used Jazz For Justice
- RVR 1960 Biblia De Estudio Arco Iris, Multicolor, Tapa Dura (Spanish Edition)
- Woodland Friends I-clip Magnetic Page Markers (Set Of 8 Magnetic Bookmarks)
- Understanding Art (Book & ArtExperience Online Printed Access Card)
- Digital Character Development: Theory And Practice
- The Everything Guide To Online Genealogy: Trace Your Roots, Share Your History, And Create Your Family Tree
- Promised Land, Crusader State: The American Encounter With The World Since 1776
- Make Something Beautiful: Coloring In The Maximalist Style
- Flying Dragon And Dancing Phoenix: An Introduction To Selected Chinese Minority Folk Dances
- Bangkok Tattoo: A Royal Thai Detective Novel (2)
- Francis Alÿs: The Historic Center Of Mexico City
- Don't Retire, Rewire!, 2e
- Evidence-based Implant Treatment Planning And Clinical Protocols