The Chippewas Of Lake Superior (The Civilization Of The American Indian Series)
The Chippewas of Lake Superior (The Civilization of the American Indian Series)
This book tells the story of the Chippewa Indians in the regions around Lake Superior-the fabled land of Kitchigami. It tells of their woodland life, the momentous impact of three centuries of European and American societies on their culture, and how the retention of their tribal identity and traditions proved such a source of strength for the Chippewas that the federal government finally abandoned its policy of coercive assimilation of the tribe.
The Chippewas, especially the Lake Superior bands, have been neglected by historians, perhaps because they fought no bloody wars of resistance against the westward-driving white pioneers who overwhelmed them in the nineteenth century. Yet, historically, the Chippewas were one of the most important Indian groups north of Mexico. Their expansive north woods homeland contained valuable resources, forcing them to play important roles in regional enterprises such as the French, British, and American fur trade. Neither exterminated nor removed to the semiarid Great Plains, the Lake Superior bands have remained on their native lands and for the past century have continued to develop their interests in lumbering, fishing, farming, mining, shipping, and tourism.
Now, for the first time in...
- Kinski Uncut: The Autobiography Of Klaus Kinski
- The View From Saturday (Newbery Medal Book)
- Alien Invasion: How To Defend Earth
- Front Of The Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me The Teacher I Never Had
- Tiki Pop: America Imagines Its Own Polynesian Paradise
- Complete Piano Concertos Nos. 1-4 & Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini: 2 Pianos, 4 Hands
- Genius At Play: The Curious Mind Of John Horton Conway
- Ray Charles: Man And Music
- Pharmacology For Nurses: A Pathophysiologic Approach (4th Edition) (Adams, Pharmacology For Nurses)
- Projection And Re-Collection In Jungian Psychology: Reflections Of The Soul (Reality Of The Psyche Series)
- The Path To Success: Famous DJs Best Kept Secrets
- Emil Nolde: My Garden Full Of Flowers
- Magic For All
- Design Of Feedback Control Systems (Oxford Series In Electrical And Computer Engineering)
- A Man Of His Word (A Hearts Of Middlefield Novel)
- Team-Building Activities For Every Group
- The Gospel Of St. John
- Water Conservation Programs (M52): AWWA Manual Of Practice (AWWA Manuals)
- The Black Calhouns: From Civil War To Civil Rights With One African American Family