Spain In The Southwest: A Narrative History Of Colonial New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, And California
Spain in the Southwest: A Narrative History of Colonial New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, and California
John L. Kessell’s Spain in the Southwest presents a fast-paced, abundantly illustrated history of the Spanish colonies that became the states of New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, and California. With an eye for human interest, Kessell tells the story of New Spain’s vast frontier--today’s American Southwest and Mexican North--which for two centuries served as a dynamic yet disjoined periphery of the Spanish empire.
Chronicling the period of Hispanic activity from the time of Columbus to Mexico’s independence from Spain in 1821, Kessell traces the three great swells of Hispanic exploration, encounter, and influence that rolled north from Mexico across the coasts and high deserts of the western borderlands. Throughout this sprawling historical landscape, Kessell treats grand themes through the lives of individuals. He explains the frequent cultural clashes and accommodations in remarkably balanced terms. Stereotypes, the author writes, are of no help. Indians could be arrogant and brutal, Spaniards caring, and vice versa. If we select the facts to fit preconceived notions, we can make the story come out the way we want, but if the peoples of the colonial Southwest are seen as they really were--more...
- Learning XNA 4.0: Game Development For The PC, Xbox 360, And Windows Phone 7
- United States History: Reconstruction To The Present
- Merrie Monarch Festival 2010
- Pioneros: Puerto Ricans In New York City 1892-1948 (NY) (Images Of America) (English And Spanish Edition)
- Lyrics Notebook: Song Lyrics Notebook Songwriting Notebook: For Songwriter's, Music Lover, Musician, Paper Journal For Writing 7x10Inch With 104 Pages
- Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow
- Chinese Communists Sketches And Autobiographies Of The Old Guard: Book 1: Red Dust. Book 2: Autobiographical Profiles And Biographical Sketches
- On Language: Chomsky's Classic Works Language And Responsibility And Reflections On Language In One Volume
- The Chrysostom Bible - Colossians & Philemon: A Commentary
- Winogrand. Figments From The Real World. 1988. Paper.
- The Age Of Extremes: A History Of The World, 1914-1991
- Here Walks My Enemy: The Story Of Luis
- Beyond Home Plate: Jackie Robinson On Life After Baseball (Sports And Entertainment (Hardcover))
- Grace: A Memoir
- Life In A North Woods Lumber Camp
- Even More Pretty Good Jokes (Prairie Home Companion (Audio))
- La Termodinamica De La Vida (Spanish Edition)
- Pete The Cat And The Missing Cupcakes
- Keena Ford And The Secret Journal Mix-Up
- Vol. 3 - Running The Service Department: Sops For Managing Technicians, Daily Operations, Service Boards, And Scheduling