Transcending Conquest: Nahua Views Of Spanish Colonial Mexico
Transcending Conquest: Nahua Views of Spanish Colonial Mexico
Columbus arrived on North American shores in 1492, and Cortés had replaced Moctezuma, the Aztec Nahua emperor, as the major figurehead in central Mexico by 1521. Five centuries later, the convergence of “old” and “new” worlds and the consequences of colonization continue to fascinate and horrify us. In Transcending Conquest, Stephanie Wood uses Nahuatl writings and illustrations to reveal Nahua perspectives on Spanish colonial occupation of the Western Hemisphere.
Mesoamerican peoples have a strong tradition of pictorial record keeping, and out of respect for this tradition, Wood examines multiple examples of pictorial imagery to explore how Native manuscripts have depicted the European invader and colonizer. She has combed national and provincial archives in Mexico and visited some of the Nahua communities of central Mexico to collect and translate Native texts. Analyzing and interpreting changes in indigenous views and attitudes throughout three hundred years of foreign rule, Wood considers variations in perspectives--between the indigenous elite and the laboring classes, and between those who resisted and those who allied themselves with the European intruders.
Transcending Conquest goes beyond the familiar voices recorded by scribes in central colonial Mexico and the Spanish conquerors to include indigenous views...
- Practical Crime Scene Processing And Investigation, Second Edition (Practical Aspects Of Criminal And Forensic Investigations)
- Ireland In All Her Sins And In Some Of Her Graces
- The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life Of The Genius Ramanujan
- Database And Applications Security: Integrating Information Security And Data Management
- The Swap
- A Masterpiece Reconstructed: The Hours Of Louis XII
- Dream Plants For The Natural Garden
- Layout & Background (Walt Disney Animation Archives)
- EVE Online: ISK Strategy Guide
- The Anthropocene: The Human Era And How It Shapes Our Planet
- NASA Mars Rovers Manual: 1997-2013 (Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity And Curiosity) (Owners' Workshop Manual)
- Parallel Curriculum Units For Science, Grades 6-12
- 1000 Pin-Up Girls
- The Z Notation: A Reference Manual (Prentice-Hall International Series In Computer Science)
- Lettering: Drawing Letters
- Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going To School?
- Como Se Dice...? (World Languages)
- Schirmer's Library Masterworks For Clarinet And Piano, Vol. 1747
- States At War, Volume 3: A Reference Guide For Pennsylvania In The Civil War
- Contemporary Art And Digital Culture