Sound The Trumpet, Beat The Drums: Horse-Mounted Bands Of The U.S. Army, 1820–1940
Sound the Trumpet, Beat the Drums: Horse-Mounted Bands of the U.S. Army, 1820–1940
Stemming from the tradition of rallying troops and frightening enemies, mounted bands played a unique and distinctive role in American military history. Their fascinating story within the U.S. Army unfolds in this latest book from noted music historian and former army musician Bruce P. Gleason.
Sound the Trumpet, Beat the Drums follows American horse-mounted bands from the nation's military infancy through its emergence as a world power during World War II and the corresponding shift from horse-powered to mechanized cavalry. Gleason traces these bands to their origins, including the horn-blowing Celtic and Roman cavalries of antiquity and the mounted Middle Eastern musicians whom European Crusaders encountered in the Holy Land. He describes the performance, musical selections, composition, and duties of American mounted bands that have served regular, militia, volunteer, and National Guard regiments in military and civil parades and concerts, in ceremonies, and on the battlefield. Over time the composition of the bands has changed—beginning with trumpets and drums and expanding to full-fledged concert bands on horseback. Woven throughout the book are often-surprising strands of American military history from the War of 1812 through...
- Power Tools For Reason 2.5: Master The World's Most Popular Virtual Studio Software (Power Tools Series)
- Hiking The Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness (Regional Hiking Series)
- The Quatrains Of Rumi: Ruba 'Iyat- Jalaluddin Muhammad Balkhi-Rumi
- Theatre And Cabaret Comedy Songs - Women's Edition: Voice And Piano
- On Care For Our Common Home (Laudato Si')
- Food In The Ancient World
- Kaplan GED Test 2016 Strategies, Practice, And Review: Online + Book (Kaplan Test Prep)
- Successful Construction Project Management: The Practical Guide
- Pentecostal Theology In Africa (African Christian Studies)
- Connect 1-Semester Access Card For Chemistry: The Molecular Nature Of Matter And Change
- Bluegrass Mandolin - An Instruction Book And Collection Of Bluegrass Mandolin Music Covering In Detail All Basic...
- Condition Red: Essays, Interviews, And Commentaries (Poets On Poetry)
- Kirkbride's Diagnosis Of Abortion And Neonatal Loss In Animals
- Splash Ink With Watercolor (Looking East Painting West)
- The Rebirth Of The Russian Space Program: 50 Years After Sputnik, New Frontiers (Springer Praxis Books)
- Why Dogs Have Wet Noses
- Recipes Every Man Should Know (Stuff You Should Know)
- Conservation Of The Black-Tailed Prairie Dog: Saving North America's Western Grasslands
- Animate Open: Parts & Labour
- Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome