A Murmuration Of Starlings (Crab Orchard Award Series In Poetry)
A Murmuration of Starlings (Crab Orchard Award Series in Poetry)
A Murmuration of Starlings elegizes the martyrs of the civil rights movement, whose names are inscribed on the stone table of the Civil Rights Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama. Individually, Jake Adam York’s poems are elegies for individuals; collectively, they consider the violence of a racist culture and the determination to resist that racism.
York follows Sun Ra, a Birmingham jazz musician whose response to racial violence was to secede from planet Earth, considers the testimony in the trial of J. W. Milam and Roy Bryant for the murder of Emmet Till in 1955, and recreates events of Selma, Alabama, in 1965. Throughout the collection, an invasion of starlings images the racial hatred and bloodshed. While the 1950s spawned violence, the movement in the early 1960s transformed the language of brutality and turned the violence against the violent, says York. So, the starlings, first produced by violence, become instruments of resistance.
York’s collection responds to and participates in recent movements to find and punish the perpetrators of the crimes that...
- Introduction To Sport Management: Theory And Practice
- Hollywood Stories: A Book About Celebrities, Movie Stars, Gossip, Directors, Famous People, History, And More!
- R&B Guitar Bible
- The 1-2-3 Money Plan: The Three Most Important Steps To Saving And Spending Smart
- Gambling Politics: State Government And The Business Of Betting
- Data Mining: Concepts And Techniques, Third Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series In Data Management Systems)
- Flip Flop I-Clips Magnetic Page Markers (Set Of 6 Magnetic Bookmarks)
- Human Anatomy For Art Students
- Genocide (Groundwork Guides)
- Infernal Devices (Angry Robot)
- How To Say It At Work: Putting Yourself Across With Power Words, Phrases, Body Language, And Communication Secrets
- Polybius (Sather Classical Lectures)
- Jazz Band Collection For Jazz Ensemble: Bass Trombone
- Conservation And Biodiversity (Scientific American Library)
- Tom Dokken's Advanced Retriever Training: The Complete Guide To Developing Your Hunting Dog
- Bad Dog, Marley!
- Fodor's New Orleans 2016 (Full-color Travel Guide)
- Grown Up Coloring Book 10: Coloring Books For Grownups : Stress Relieving Patterns
- Handbook Of Human Factors In Medical Device Design
- Higher Speculations: Grand Theories And Failed Revolutions In Physics And Cosmology