Battlefield Medicine: A History Of The Military Ambulance From The Napoleonic Wars Through World War I
Battlefield Medicine: A History of the Military Ambulance from the Napoleonic Wars through World War I
In this first history of the military ambulance, historian John S. Haller Jr. documents the development of medical technologies for treating and transporting wounded soldiers on the battlefield. Noting that the word ambulance has been used to refer to both a mobile medical support system and a mode of transport, Haller takes readers back to the origins of the modern ambulance, covering their evolution in depth from the late eighteenth century through World War I.
The rising nationalism, economic and imperial competition, and military alliances and arms races of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries figure prominently in this history of the military ambulance, which focuses mainly on British and American technological advancements. Beginning with changes introduced by Dominique-Jean Larrey during the Napoleonic Wars, the book traces the organizational and technological challenges faced by opposing armies in the Crimean War, the American Civil War, the Franco-Prussian War, and the Philippines Insurrection, then climaxes with the trench warfare that defined World War I. The operative word is "challenges" of medical care and evacuation because while some things learned in a conflict are carried into the...
- Collage City (MIT Press)
- Mickey Mouse: The Evolution, The Legend, The Phenomenon!
- Nanny Piggins And The Accidental Blast-Off
- Armour: Materials, Theory, And Design
- Wetland Soils: Genesis, Hydrology, Landscapes, And Classification
- Distance And Engagement: Walking, Thinking And Making Landscape
- Diagnosis And Management Of Lameness In The Horse, 2e
- Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge: The 100% Unofficial User Guide
- On Becoming A Novelist
- Horn And Conductor: Reminiscences Of A Practitioner
- Warlock (New York Review Books Classics)
- My Little Golden Book About George Washington
- Kids' Travel Journal (Interactive Diary, Notebook)
- Puppy Mudge Collector's Set: Puppy Mudge Finds A Friend; Puppy Mudge Has A Snack; Puppy Mudge Loves His Blanket; Puppy Mudge Takes A Bath; Puppy Mudge Wants To Play; Henry And Mudge: The First Book
- The Gospel Of St. Mark
- Lana: A Novella
- Canon EOS 70D For Dummies
- Timpani Tone And The Interpretation Of Baroque And Classical Music
- Calendar Mysteries #6: June Jam
- New Introductory Lectures On Psycho-Analysis (The Standard Edition) (Complete Psychological Works Of Sigmund Freud)