Hernando De Soto Among The Apalachee: The Archaeology Of The First Winter Encampment (Florida Museum Of Natural History: Ripley P. Bullen Series)
Hernando de Soto Among the Apalachee: The Archaeology of the First Winter Encampment (Florida Museum of Natural History: Ripley P. Bullen Series)
"A genuine tour de force for the integration of anthropology, archaeology and ethnohistory at this first, unequivocal de Soto expedition site."--Russell K. Skowronek, Santa Clara University
"Indispensable. . . . Will be of interest to southeastern archaeologists, historians of Hispanic America, scholars interested in the early exploration of the Americas . . . and laymen in Florida and surrounding states."--Charles Hudson, University of Georgia
Charles Ewen and John Hann chronicle the discovery and excavation of the only known campsite of Hernando de Soto's ten-state odyssey in La Florida during the 16th century. Located in downtown Tallahassee in sight of the state capitol, the site was rescued at the last minute from developers—a story almost as compelling as that of de Soto’s expedition.
The book has three parts: historical background, archaeological excavations at the site, and a retranslation of the 16th-century narratives relating to the winter encampment. A prologue and epilogue fit the work into the wider context of the Contact Period.
John Hann has retranslated the narratives of the De Soto expedition in Apalachee Province--with startling results. Small liberties taken with...
- Modern Art Desserts: Recipes For Cakes, Cookies, Confections, And Frozen Treats Based On Iconic Works Of Art
- Dog Gone Cute (Leisure Arts #3318)
- The RoMANtics Guide: Hundreds Of Creative Tips For A Lifetime Of Love
- The Salsa Dancing Game For Men: The ABC's
- Lonely Planet Singapore (Travel Guide)
- Different Views In Hudson River School Painting
- Shostakovich Symphonies And Concertos - An Owner's Manual: Unlocking The Masters Series
- Photoshop Glamour Book 02: Buy This Book, Get A Job ! (Volume 2)
- Muddypaws' Busy Day Finger Puppet Book (Finger Puppets)
- Senior Citizens' Word Search Puzzle Book (Volume 1)
- The Green Halo: A Bird's-Eye View Of Ecological Ethics
- Where Do Chicks Come From? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1)
- The Pendulum Kit
- Uruguay, 1968: Student Activism From Global Counterculture To Molotov Cocktails (Violence In Latin American History)
- Teach Me Tiger!
- Tougher Than Leather: The Rise Of Run-DMC
- A Chocolate Life Women's Devotional
- Citizens Without Shelter: Homelessness, Democracy, And Political Exclusion
- Building New Banjos For An Old-Time World (Folklore Studies In Multicultural World)
- Talking Through Pictures: A Beginner's Guide To Photojournalism