The Archaeology Of Collective Action (American Experience In Archaeological Pespective)
The Archaeology of Collective Action (American Experience in Archaeological Pespective)
Saitta examines historical archaeology’s success in reconstructing collective social action in the past and considers the implications of these reconstructions for society today. Recognizing that studies of the past can serve different social interests, creating knowledge that can be used to oppress or emancipate elements of society, Saitta argues that historical archaeology needs to move beyond its emphasis on recovering the individual to acknowledging and asserting its power to effect social change.
Developing a theoretical and methodological approach to the archaeology of collective action, Saitta reviews some of the progress archaeologists have made in illuminating race-, gender-, and class-based forms of collective action in shaping the American experience. He then provides a case study illustrating the methods and insights archaeology brings to research on the Ludlow Massacre and the Colorado Coalfield Strike of 1913-14. Throughout, Saitta frames key issues and definitions in a clear, accessible style and offers compelling and persuasive arguments for the epistemological reorientation of the discipline of historical archaeology.
Notably, the book makes explicit the tie between the archaeological past and the political present. Excavations of the strikers’ tent colony site at Ludlow, Colorado, provided novel insights into...
- Daily Word Problems, Grade 1 Math
- Learn To Play Baritone B.C., Bk 1: A Carefully Graded Method That Develops Well-Rounded Musicianship
- Men Counseling Men: A Biblical Guide To The Major Issues Men Face
- Rigid Flexibility: The Logic Of Intelligence (Applied Logic Series)
- South Africa Activity Book: Part Of Travel With Kids Series (Travel With Kids - Activity Books) (Volume 1)
- Isaiah 40-66: Interpretation: A Bible Commentary For Teaching And Preaching
- The Well Life: How To Use Structure, Sweetness, And Space To Create Balance, Happiness, And Peace
- 365 Big Word Puzzles Color Page-A-Day Calendar 2016
- The Small Doodle Comic Book For Boys: Basic, 6" X 9", 100 Pages (Activity Drawing & Coloring Books)
- The Last Founding Father: James Monroe And A Nation's Call To Greatness
- Sybil Ludington Ogden: "Grandmother's Story"
- Asian Jewellery: Ethnic Rings, Bracelets, Necklaces, Earrings, Belts, Head Ornaments
- Goldeneye: Where Bond Was Born: Ian Fleming's Jamaica
- Disney Movie Favorites: Flute
- Sweet Nothings: Notes And Texts 1982-2014
- Feminist Disability Studies
- Illegal: Reflections Of An Undocumented Immigrant (Latinos In Chicago And Midwest)
- Parents And Families Of Students With Special Needs: Collaborating Across The Age Span