James Buchanan And The Coming Of The Civil War
James Buchanan and the Coming of the Civil War
"Provides scholars with a fresh and thoughtful examination of the first administration that had to deal with Southern secession."--Jonathan M. Atkins, author of Politics, Parties, and the Sectional Conflict in Tennessee, 1832-1861
As James Buchanan took office in 1857, the United States found itself at a crossroads. Dissolution of the Union had been averted and the Democratic Party maintained control of the federal government, but the nation watched to see if Pennsylvania's first president could make good on his promise to calm sectional tensions.
Despite Buchanan's central role in a crucial hour in U.S. history, few presidents have been more ignored by historians. In assembling the essays for this volume, Michael Birkner and John Quist have asked leading scholars to reconsider whether Buchanan’s failures stemmed from his own mistakes or from circumstances that no president could have overcome.
Buchanan's dealings with Utah shed light on his handling of the secession crisis. His approach to Dred Scott reinforces the image of a president whose doughface views were less a matter of hypocrisy than a thorough identification with southern interests. Essays on the secession crisis provide fodder for debate about the strengths and...
- Birch Coulie: The Epic Battle Of The Dakota War
- Grace Kelly (A Life In Pictures)
- NIV, Beautiful Word Bible, Cloth Over Board, Multi-color Floral: 500 Full-Color Illustrated Verses
- Power Tools For Cubase 7: Master Steinberg's Powerful Multi-Platform Audio Production Software
- Where All The Ladders Start (The Last P.I. Series, Book 3)
- Physical Diagnosis Lab Manual
- Culture Without Accountability-WTF? What's The Fix?
- X-Men: The Trial Of Gambit
- Way Of The Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders (Business Books)
- The Allman Brothers Band Classic Memorabilia, 1969-76 (Music And The American South)
- Nicknight: The Photographs Of Nick Knight
- Introduction To Sicilian Grammar
- The Dumb Bunnies Go To The Zoo
- Mediterranean Diet For Dummies
- Outlaw Territories: Environments Of Insecurity/Architectures Of Counterinsurgency
- The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations To Enrich Your Life
- Mom's House, Dad's House: Making Two Homes For Your Child
- Love And War Participant's Guide With DVD: Finding The Marriage You've Dreamed Of
- Poppy Done To Death (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, Book 8)
- The Sea, The Sea (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)