Tango And The Political Economy Of Passion (Institutional Structures Of Feeling)
Tango And The Political Economy Of Passion (Institutional Structures of Feeling)
What is tango? Dance, music, and lyrics of course, but also a philosophy, a strategy, a commodity, even a disease. This book explores the politics of tango, tracing tango's travels from the brothels of Buenos Aires to the cabarets of Paris and the shako dansu clubs of Tokyo. The author is an Argentinean political theorist and a dance professor at the University of California at Riverside. She uses her tango tongue” to tell interwoven tales of sexuality, gender, race, class, and national identity. Along the way she unravels relations between machismo and colonialism, postmodernism and patriarchy, exoticism and commodification. In the end she arrives at a discourse on decolonization as intellectual unlearning.”Marta Savigliano's voice is highly personal and political. Her account is at once about the exoticization of tango and about her own fate as a Third World woman intellectual. A few sentences from the preface are indicative: Tango is my womb and my tongue, a trench where I can shelter and resist the colonial invitations to universalism,' a stubborn fatalist mood when technocrats and theorists offer optimistic and seriously revised versions of alternatives' for the Third World, an...
- British Redcoat Vs French Fusilier: North America 1755–63 (Combat)
- Twilight Of The Eastern Gods
- Topologies As Techniques For A Post-Critical Rhetoric
- Clinical Medical Assisting: A Professional, Field Smart Approach To The Workplace
- Bookshelf Design
- Shipping Derivatives And Risk Management
- Choices And Illusions: How Did I Get Where I Am, And How Do I Get Where I Want To Be?
- The Singing Sands
- Laurel: Bride Of Arkansas: A Mail-Order Bride Series, Book 25 (Volume 25)
- Light On Aging And Dying: Wise Words
- The American Fisherman: How Our Nation's Anglers Founded, Fed, Financed, And Forever Shaped The U.S.A.
- Premium Pro-Style Sketchbook: Large Blank Sketch Pad, 8.5" X 11" Sketchbook Journal White Paper (Drawing Pad Art)
- Album Of Negro Spirituals (Piano/Vocal/ Songbook)
- Composition For Young Musicians: Book & CD
- Ballistics: Poems
- John (Exegetical Guide To The Greek New Testament)
- Sesame Street: Let's Go Potty, Elmo! (1 2 3 Sesame Street)
- The Sky's The Limit: Passion And Property In Manhattan
- East End Fashionistas
- Gone To The Crazies: A Memoir