Ugetsu: Kenji Mizoguchi, Director (Rutgers Films In Print)
Ugetsu: Kenji Mizoguchi, Director (Rutgers Films in Print)
Ugetsu Monogatari has been widely acclaimed as a masterpiece of the Japanese cinema since the moment in 1952 when its director, Kenji Mizoguchi, won a Silver Lion award for the film at the Venice Festival. Western audiences immediately recognized the pictorial beauty of Ugetsu and the lyrical power of Mizoguchi's camera movements, but most viewers have found the film's narrative elements puzzling and unsettling. Ugetsu seems to move between two radically different worlds: the first is a world at war, conveyed with graphic realism; the second, a highly stylized world of the supernatural, filled with ghosts and apparitions. To understand why Mizoguchi chose to incorporate these disparate experiences in one film and ultimately to integrate them requires an awareness of Mizoguchi's customary themes and of cultural contexts that would be familiar to his Japanese audience.
This volume presents a complete continuity script of Ugetsu and an introductory essay by Keiko McDonald, analyzing the complex issues of Japanese culture revealed in the film. Also included are a letter from Mizoguchi to his longtime scriptwriter, the late Yoshikata Yoda; the complete texts of the two Japanese tales on which the film was based;...
- Urban Hydrology, Watershed Management And Socio-Economic Aspects (Water Science And Technology Library)
- Rsmeans Facilities Construction Cost Data
- Recipe For Revival
- The Life Coaching Connection: How Coaching Changes Lives
- Sleeping In Flame
- ASE Test Preparation - A6 Electricity And Electronics (Ase Test Preparation Series)
- Nekrolog Or Obituary Notice Of Johann Sebastian Bach. Translated With An Introduction, Notes And Two Appendices By Walter Emery. (Facsimile Of Autograph Translator's Manuscript).
- Vocal Leadership: 7 Minutes A Day To Communication Mastery, With A Foreword By Roger Goodell
- Messaging And Queuing Using The MQI: Concepts & Analysis, Design & Development (McGraw-Hill Computer Communications Series)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift
- Red Moon At Sharpsburg
- Life: The Leading Edge Of Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Anthropology, And Environmental Science
- La Perdida (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
- Hate Crime: Impact, Causes And Responses
- Truth, Justice, And The American Whore
- The Career Counselor's Handbook
- The Princess Diaries, Volume VI: Princess In Training
- Graphic Works Of Edvard Munch
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit: 50 Years Of Beautiful
- Alfred's Basic Piano Course: Recital Book 2 (Alfred's Basic Piano Library)