The 'Tragic Mulatta' Revisited: Race And Nationalism In Nineteenth-Century Antislavery Fiction
The 'Tragic Mulatta' Revisited: Race and Nationalism in Nineteenth-Century Antislavery Fiction
Since its inception, the United States has been intensely preoccupied with interracialism. The concept is embedded everywhere in our social and political fabric, including our sense of national identity. And yet, in both its quantitative and symbolic forms, interracialism remains an extremely elusive phenomenon, causing policy makers and census boards to wrangle over how to delineate it and, on an emblematic level, stirring intense emotions from fear to fascination.
In The “Tragic Mulatta” Revisited, Eve Allegra Raimon focuses on the mixed-race female slave in literature, arguing that this figure became a symbolic vehicle for explorations of race and nation—both of which were in crisis in the mid-nineteenth century. At this time, judicial, statutory, social, and scientific debates about the meaning of racial difference (and intermixture) coincided with disputes over frontier expansion, which were never merely about land acquisition but also literally about the “complexion” of that frontier. Embodying both northern and southern ideologies, the “amalgamated” mulatta, the author argues, can be viewed as quintessentially American, a precursor to contemporary motifs of “hybrid” and “mestizo” identities.
Where others have focused on the gendered and racially abject position of the “tragic...
- The Music Of Tim Janis (Piano Solo Composer Collection)
- The Detox Solution: The Missing Link To Radiant Health, Abundant Energy, Ideal Weight, And Peace Of Mind
- Plenty Of Pretty Good Jokes (Prairie Home Companion (Audio))
- ACT Prep Book 2017: ACT Test Prep Study Guide And Practice Questions
- MyManagementLab With Pearson EText -- Access Card -- For Fundamentals Of Human Resource Management
- Bound Together (A Sea Haven Novel)
- Cuaderno Del Huerto / Garden Book (Spanish Edition)
- The Body Book For Boys
- Digital Costume Design & Rendering: Pens, Pixels, And Paint
- Wisdom For Each Day Signature Edition
- The Women Of R&B
- Bound For Workbook For Tonal Harmony
- Native People Of Southern New England, 1500–1650 (The Civilization Of The American Indian Series)
- A Real Mind: The Life And Work Of Axel Hägerström (Law And Philosophy Library, Vol. 87)
- Around Geneseo (NY) (Images Of America)
- Neurogenic Disorders Of Language
- Art & Artifice: And Other Essays On Illusion, Concerning The Inventors, Traditions, Evolution & Rediscovery Of Stage Magic
- Benny Goodman - Jazz Masters Series (Clarinet)
- Book Of John Book/Online Audio-Wicked Guitar Licks & Techniques For The Modern Shredder