Praying With The Desert Mothers
Praying with the Desert Mothers
Fourth- and fifth-century desert mothers in the Mediterranean region, known as ammas (spiritual mothers), were the founders of Christian community in the early church. Praying with the Desert Mothers introduces the lives, sayings, and stories of these remarkable spiritual elders. It enriches readers' lives and compels them to return in meditation and prayer. For each topic a true story is drawn from a modern persona's experience of seeking God. This tapestry of stories of the desert ammas is woven together with theological insights, discussion of genres of literature, historical views on women, and reflective approaches to the wisdom tradition.
Praying with the Desert Mothers combines scholarship and reflection for praying, meditating, and living the wisdom of spiritual practices today. Chapters are Introduction to the Desert Mothers, Ammas as Midwives of Wisdom, Ammas as Scripture Scholars, Heralds in the Desert, Desert as Idyllic Garden, The Peal of Great Price, Humility and the Manifestation of Thoughts, Penthos and Tears, Signs of Conversion, The Hidden Life, Prayer and Hospitality; and concludes with The Visitation and a complete bibliography on the desert ammas.
Mary Forman, OSB, PhD, a Benedictine from the Monastery of Saint Gertrude, Cottonwood, Idaho, is assistant professor of...
- Made With FontFont: Type For Independent Minds
- A Guide To Wildflowers In Winter: Herbaceous Plants Of Northeastern North America
- Vocabulary In Use Intermediate Student's Book With Answers, 2nd Edition
- Satch & Me (Baseball Card Adventures)
- Be A Free Range Human: Escape The 9-5, Create A Life You Love And Still Pay The Bills
- Serena Williams (Women In Sports)
- Unmasking Male Depression: Recognizing The Root Cause To Many Problem Behaviors Such As Anger, Resentment, Abusiveness, Silence, Addictions, And Sexual Compulsiveness
- Confucian Perfectionism: A Political Philosophy For Modern Times (The Princeton-China Series)
- Color Lithography: A Retrospective Of Major Works, 1954--1980: May 4, 1980--June 30, 1980, Library Gallery, UMBC, Catonsville, Maryland
- Making Books By Hand: Techniques And Ideas For Enhancing Your Book Designs Including Found Objects And Miniature Books
- Arabic Club Readers: Yellow Band: The Friends' Picnic (Arabic Club For Kids)
- NorthStar Reading And Writing 2 MyEnglishLab, International Edition (4th Edition) - Standalone Book
- A, My Name Is Alice (Picture Puffin Books)
- The Complete Guide To Making Cheese, Butter, And Yogurt At Home: Everything You Need To Know Explained Simply Revised 2nd Edition (Back To Basics)
- Alexander The Great
- Barnyard Roosters 2016 Deluxe Wall Calendar
- The Collected Writings Of Franz Liszt: Dramaturgical Leaves: Essays About Musical Works For The Stage And Queries About The Stage, Its Composers, And Performers Part 1
- Letters From Langston: From The Harlem Renaissance To The Red Scare And Beyond
- The Sprinkles Baking Book: 100 Secret Recipes From Candace's Kitchen