Sacra Pagina: James
Sacra Pagina: James
In his commentary on the letter of James, Hartin offers a unique approach toward understanding a much-neglected writing. Refusing to read the letter of James through the lens ofPaul, Hartin approaches the letter in its own right. He takes seriously the address to the twelve tribes in the Dispersion" (1:1) as directed to Jews who had embraced the message of Jesus and were living outside their homeland, Israel. At the same time, Hartin shows how this letter remains true to Jesus' heritage. Using recent studies on rhetorical culture, Hartin illustrates how James takes Jesus ' sayings and performs them again in his own way to speak to the hearers/readers of his own world.
Hartin examines the text, passage by passage, while providing essential notes and an extensive explanation of the theological meaning of each passage. The value of this commentary lies in its breadth of scholarship and its empathic approach to this writing. The reader will discover new and refreshing insights into the world of early Christianity as well as a teaching that is of perennial significance.
Patrick J. Hartin was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. He studied at the Gregorian University in Rome and is an...
- Punderdome: A Card Game For Pun Lovers
- Essentials Of Oceanography
- Kenneth Tynan: A Life
- Ain't It Funny?: A Tribute To Willie Nelson
- Gentrifier (UTP Insights)
- Introduction To Hilbert Space And The Theory Of Spectral Multiplicity
- The Third Twin
- School Turnarounds: The Essential Role Of Districts (Educational Innovations Series)
- Connecting The Dots In World History, A Teacher's Literacy Based Curriculum: From The Mongol Empire To The Reformation (Connect The Dots History Of The World)
- The Intellectual And Cultural World Of The Early Modern Inns Of Court
- Fundamentals Of Nursing, 9e
- Voice, Video, And Data Network Convergence: Architecture And Design, From VoIP To Wireless
- Walt Disney’s Alice In Wonderland: An Illustrated Journey Through Time (Disney Editions Deluxe)
- About Face: Reviving The Rules Of Typography
- A Dictionary Of Chemistry (Oxford Quick Reference)
- Mt Kilimanjaro & Me
- Essays On Aristotle's Ethics (Philosophical Traditions)
- Penguin Science Fiction Postcard Box Set
- Guitar Player's Notebook: Music Theory And Manuscript Paper For Creative Guitarists