Dynamics Of The Party System: Alignment And Realignment Of Political Parties In The United States
Dynamics of the Party System: Alignment and Realignment of Political Parties in the United States
Since the original edition of Dynamics of the Party System was published in 1973, American politics have continued on a tumultuous course. In the vacuum left by the decline of the Democratic and Republican parties, single-interest groups have risen and flourished. Protest movements on the left and the New Right at the opposite pole have challenged and divided the major parties, and the Reagan Revolution--in reversing a fifty-year trend toward governmental expansion--may turn out to have revolutionized the party system too.
In this edition, as in the first, current political trends and events are placed in a historical and theoretical context. Focusing upon three major realignments of the past--those of the 1850s, the 1890s, and the 1930s--Sundquist traces the processes by which basic transformations of the country's two-party system occur. From the historical case studies, he fashions a theory as to the why and how of party realignment, then applies it to current and recent developments, through the first two years of the Reagan presidency and the midterm election of 1982.
The theoretical sections of the first edition are refined in this one, the...
- An Exact Likeness: The Portraits Of John Wesley
- Blank Staff Paper : (Large Print) 12 Stave Blank Sheet Music - Manuscript Paper - 8.5x11 - 104 Pages - (Composition Books - Blank Sheet Music Book) Vol.2: Blank Sheet Music Notebook
- Super Hero High Yearbook! (DC Super Hero Girls)
- The Dept. Of Corrections: Collected Writings 2007–2015
- Tecnicas De Investigacion Para Historiadores (Spanish Edition)
- Independent Counsel: The Law And The Investigations
- Escribir Ficción
- Historical Fiction: A Guide To The Genre (Genreflecting Advisory Series)
- International Corporate Finance, + Website: Value Creation With Currency Derivatives In Global Capital Markets (Wiley Finance)
- Climbing Is Ageless: Life Lessons On Colorado's Fourteeners
- EMS Medicine
- A Great Plains Reader
- Secrets Of The Sommeliers: How To Think And Drink Like The World's Top Wine Professionals
- Constitutional Rights: Myths And Realities
- Kyrie Irving: The Inspiring Story Of One Of Basketball’s Most Versatile Point Guards
- Folk Guitar Instruction Books: A Bibliography
- GOETHE AND ABAY
- David Leadbetter's Positive Practice
- The Rise And Fall Of The American Century: The United States From 1890-2009