North Country: The Making Of Minnesota
North Country: The Making of Minnesota
In 1862, four years after Minnesota was ratified as the thirty-second state in the Union, simmering tensions between indigenous Dakota and white settlers culminated in the violent, six-week-long U.S.–Dakota War. Hundreds of lives were lost on both sides, and the war ended with the execution of thirty-eight Dakotas on December 26, 1862, in Mankato, Minnesota—the largest mass execution in American history. The following April, after suffering a long internment at Fort Snelling, the Dakota and Winnebago peoples were forcefully removed to South Dakota, precipitating the near destruction of the area’s native communities while simultaneously laying the foundation for what we know and recognize today as Minnesota.
In North Country: The Making of Minnesota, Mary Lethert Wingerd unlocks the complex origins of the state—origins that have often been ignored in favor of legend and a far more benign narrative of immigration, settlement, and cultural exchange. Moving from the earliest years of contact between Europeans and the indigenous peoples of the western Great Lakes region to the era of French and British influence during the fur trade and beyond, Wingerd charts how for two centuries prior to official statehood Native people and Europeans in the region...
- Move Over, Rover!
- How To Draw Anime And Game Characters : Purple Manga Edition 17 (Book 2): How To Draw Fantasy Manga Fashion : Male & Female Characters Step By Step ... Night Shonen Japanese Manga) (Volume 2)
- Team Challenges: 170+ Group Activities To Build Cooperation, Communication, And Creativity
- Pretty Little Liars #12: Burned
- Art And Homosexuality: A History Of Ideas
- Dream Backyards
- The Ruler's Guide: China’s Greatest Emperor And His Timeless Secrets Of Success
- The Power Of Now: A Guide To Spiritual Enlightenment
- Halloween Coloring
- Sharp Eyes: John Burroughs And American Nature Writing
- Mamoulian: Life On Stage And Screen (Screen Classics)
- Performance In Life And Literature
- Yoko Ono
- Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales: A Treasury Of Children's Classics
- 1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die: UNESCO Edition
- Guitar Shop -- Setup And Maintenance: The Player's Guide To Guitar Care (Handy Guide)
- En Passant (il Etait Un Brin De Un Murmure...: (movements)
- Library Data: Empowering Practice And Persuasion
- Tales From The Cincinnati Reds Dugout: A Collection Of The Greatest Reds Stories Ever Told (Tales From The Team)
- SPELLING WORKOUT HOMESCHOOL BUNDLE LEVEL G COPYRIGHT 2002