North Country: The Making Of Minnesota
North Country: The Making of Minnesota
In 1862, four years after Minnesota was ratified as the thirty-second state in the Union, simmering tensions between indigenous Dakota and white settlers culminated in the violent, six-week-long U.S.–Dakota War. Hundreds of lives were lost on both sides, and the war ended with the execution of thirty-eight Dakotas on December 26, 1862, in Mankato, Minnesota—the largest mass execution in American history. The following April, after suffering a long internment at Fort Snelling, the Dakota and Winnebago peoples were forcefully removed to South Dakota, precipitating the near destruction of the area’s native communities while simultaneously laying the foundation for what we know and recognize today as Minnesota.
In North Country: The Making of Minnesota, Mary Lethert Wingerd unlocks the complex origins of the state—origins that have often been ignored in favor of legend and a far more benign narrative of immigration, settlement, and cultural exchange. Moving from the earliest years of contact between Europeans and the indigenous peoples of the western Great Lakes region to the era of French and British influence during the fur trade and beyond, Wingerd charts how for two centuries prior to official statehood Native people and Europeans in the region...
- Contract Law (Palgrave Law Masters)
- There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly!
- Forest And Nature Governance: A Practice Based Approach (World Forests)
- Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- Dark Eye: The Films Of David Fincher
- Baroque Music: A Practical Guide For The Performer
- Engineering Project Management For The Global High Technology Industry
- The Curriculum: Theory And Practice
- The Orange Girl
- Where Does The Wild Goose Go?
- What Do Women Want? In 30 Minutes - The Expert Guide To Daniel Bergner's Critically Acclaimed Book
- The Rise And Fall Of Japan's LDP: Political Party Organizations As Historical Institutions
- The Kids' Building Workshop: 15 Woodworking Projects For Kids And Parents To Build Together
- The Graphic Language Of Neville Brody 2
- Out Of The Depths
- Desktop Publishing: Producing Professional Publications
- The Infinite Sea: The Second Book Of The 5th Wave
- Secret Samurai Trilogy: Book One, Tangled Lives (Volume 1)
- English Medieval Embroidery: Opus Anglicanum
- Beatlemania: Technology, Business, And Teen Culture In Cold War America (Johns Hopkins Introductory Studies In The History Of Technology)