Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions And Estates Of The Twin Cities
Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions and Estates of the Twin Cities
In Lost Twin Cities, Larry Millett brought to life the vanished architecture of downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Now, in Once There Were Castles, he offers a richly illustrated look at another world of ghosts in our midst: the lost mansions and estates of the Twin Cities.
Nobody can say for sure how many lost mansions haunt the Twin Cities, but at least five hundred can be accounted for in public records and archives. In Minneapolis and St. Paul, entire neighborhoods of luxurious homes have disappeared, virtually without a trace. Many grand estates that once spread out over hundreds of acres along the shores of Lake Minnetonka are also gone. The greatest of these lost houses often had astonishingly short lives: the lavish Charles Gates mansion in Minneapolis survived only nineteen years, and Norman Kittson’s sprawling castle on the site of the St. Paul Cathedral stood for barely more than two decades. Railroad and freeway building, commercial and institutional expansion, fires, and financial disasters all claimed their share of mansions; others succumbed to their own extravagance, becoming too costly to maintain once their original owners died.
The stories of these...
- Case Study Houses
- Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change, 2nd Edition (The XP Series)
- The Hidden Origins Of Islam: New Research Into Its Early History
- MasteringChemistry With Pearson EText -- Standalone Access Card -- For Introductory Chemistry (5th Edition)
- The Choice For Europe: Social Purpose And State Power From Messina To Maastricht (Cornell Studies In Political Economy)
- English For New Americans (ESL)
- Dr. Jean's Math Recipes
- Intellectual Property: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways To Improve Your Programs And Designs (3rd Edition)
- Data Structures And Algorithms Made Easy In Java: Data Structure And Algorithmic Puzzles, Second Edition
- The Practical Guide To Drawing Still Life: [Artist's Workbook]
- Semiconductor Physics And Devices
- 3ds Max 8 MAXScript Essentials
- Verbatim: Techniques In Contemporary Documentary Theatre
- Seeking Arrangement: The Definitive Guide To Sugar Daddy And Mutually Beneficial Relationships
- Data Mining And Constraint Programming: Foundations Of A Cross-Disciplinary Approach (Lecture Notes In Computer Science)
- A Midcoast Murder: A Jesse Ashworth Mystery
- Billy Elliot - Piano/Vocal Selections
- The World Of M. C. Escher.
- Ghost Stories Of New York State