Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions And Estates Of The Twin Cities
Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions and Estates of the Twin Cities
In Lost Twin Cities, Larry Millett brought to life the vanished architecture of downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Now, in Once There Were Castles, he offers a richly illustrated look at another world of ghosts in our midst: the lost mansions and estates of the Twin Cities.
Nobody can say for sure how many lost mansions haunt the Twin Cities, but at least five hundred can be accounted for in public records and archives. In Minneapolis and St. Paul, entire neighborhoods of luxurious homes have disappeared, virtually without a trace. Many grand estates that once spread out over hundreds of acres along the shores of Lake Minnetonka are also gone. The greatest of these lost houses often had astonishingly short lives: the lavish Charles Gates mansion in Minneapolis survived only nineteen years, and Norman Kittson’s sprawling castle on the site of the St. Paul Cathedral stood for barely more than two decades. Railroad and freeway building, commercial and institutional expansion, fires, and financial disasters all claimed their share of mansions; others succumbed to their own extravagance, becoming too costly to maintain once their original owners died.
The stories of these...
- Eternity's Sunrise: The Imaginative World Of William Blake
- Painting And Politics In Northern Europe: Van Eyck, Bruegel, Rubens, And Their Contemporaries
- Royal Petals Coloring Book
- How To Be A Pub Genius II: Back By Popular Demand! - Fifty More Fantastic Tricks To Amaze Your Friends!
- Napoleon: A Concise Biography
- State Showdown (Little League)
- Cántame Una Canción (Canta Y Cuenta) (Spanish Edition)
- Barron's AP US History Flash Cards, 3rd Edition
- Secret Kingdom #3: Cloud Island
- The Printer's Eye: Ukiyo-e From The Grabhorn Collection
- Govor Tela: Iskustvo Modernog Baleta (Umetnicka Sfera) (Croatian Edition)
- Julius, The Baby Of The World
- Autobiography And Other Writings (Oxford World's Classics)
- Fast Facts For The Nurse Preceptor: Keys To Providing A Successful Preceptorship In A Nutshell
- Israel / Palestine
- Everything And More: A Compact History Of Infinity
- Dog Songs: Poems
- Classic Essays On Photography
- Understanding The Prostate: Laminated Wall Chart