Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions And Estates Of The Twin Cities
Once There Were Castles: Lost Mansions and Estates of the Twin Cities
In Lost Twin Cities, Larry Millett brought to life the vanished architecture of downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Now, in Once There Were Castles, he offers a richly illustrated look at another world of ghosts in our midst: the lost mansions and estates of the Twin Cities.
Nobody can say for sure how many lost mansions haunt the Twin Cities, but at least five hundred can be accounted for in public records and archives. In Minneapolis and St. Paul, entire neighborhoods of luxurious homes have disappeared, virtually without a trace. Many grand estates that once spread out over hundreds of acres along the shores of Lake Minnetonka are also gone. The greatest of these lost houses often had astonishingly short lives: the lavish Charles Gates mansion in Minneapolis survived only nineteen years, and Norman Kittson’s sprawling castle on the site of the St. Paul Cathedral stood for barely more than two decades. Railroad and freeway building, commercial and institutional expansion, fires, and financial disasters all claimed their share of mansions; others succumbed to their own extravagance, becoming too costly to maintain once their original owners died.
The stories of these...
- Leadership In Action: How Effective Directors Get Things Done
- Painting Light With Colored Pencil
- Soul Music: The Sound! The Stars! The Story!
- A History Of The Ancient Near East Ca. 3000 - 323 BC, 2nd Edition
- Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture 2017 Fundamentals
- Happiness Is . . . A Little Note: 30 Pocket-Size Notecards And Envelopes
- Prairie Tale: A Memoir
- Organic Leadership: Leading Naturally Right Where You Are (Shapevine)
- Las Comidas En 30 Minutos (Spanish Edition)
- Shadowrise (Shadowmarch, Vol. 3)
- National Geographic Readers: Jump Pup!
- Companion Classroom Activities For Stop Faking It! Force And Motion - PB295X (Stop Faking It! Finally Understanding Science So You Can Teach It)
- Music And Copyright
- 101 No-Huddle Spread Offense Plays
- Compendium Of Potato Diseases, Second Edition (Aps Compendium Of Plant Disease Series)
- Teaching As If Life Matters: The Promise Of A New Education Culture
- Bennion On Statutory Interpretation, Fifth Ed. Supplement
- Mary Pratt
- Music In The Eighteenth Century (Western Music In Context: A Norton History)
- World Ballet And Modern Dance: 2